1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ds_kerr, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ds_kerr

ds_kerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

When it comes to DVI connections I am a newbie and need some advice.

I have a HTPC which has a DVI-I output on the graphics card (Radeon 9500). I recently bought a Optoma H57 projector which has a 'Digital Video HDCP DVI' input (can also be HDMI through an adaptor).

The total distance from my HTPC to Projector is 12 metres... so;

- Which sort of DVI cable do I need (DVI-I or DVI-D or HDMI)?
    - I understand DVI cables are sensitive to cable length, can anyone recommend a cable that will work at this length?

Many thanks,
    David.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    DS_Kerr

The maximum cable length before you start to introduce visible artefacts into any system is a function of the DVI cable, the cable run (avoid kinks if you can) and the DVI Receiver in your Display device.

We've had great results with the BetterCables Display magic copper DVI cables at up to and including 9.0m with signals up to 720P and 1080i - these are relatively expensive cables compared to some of the 10m cables PC vendors will offer you; though around 50% of the cables we've supplied have been to folk who have tried lower cost cables first and had problems.

BetterCables have just introduced a revised range of cables (and a new web site for Digital cables - see http://www.hdmiplanet.com) and now offer copper cables up to 15m.

If the BetterCables Display Magic 11 didn't do the trick for you then your looking at even more expensive Copper cables (WireWorld), a DVI repeater (Gefen) or a Fibre Optic DVI cable (Gefen).

Best regards

Joe

3. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i bought a "cheep" 10m dvi cable from keene.co.uk...

first one did not work, which was bad :(

second one was fine and produced a very shap clean picture, which was good :)

i risked the cheap one and am glad that i did...