DVI port on Fuji P50XHA40US and Sky HD / HD-A1

tamlaras

Standard Member
Reaction score
As the DVI port on my Fuji P50XHA40US doesn't support HDCP does this mean that it is not suitable to connect either my Sky HD box or my Toshiba HD-A1 to.

I only have 1 HDMI port so am looking for ways to connect both up.

Using component video from either the HD-A1 or the Sky HD box will look excellent. :smashin:

Steve

If I want to be able to upscale R1 DVDs on the Tosh then that will have to be connected via HDMI. So looks like I will be switching Sky HD across to component from HDMI. Are there any issues or shortcomings of doing this?

Anyone want to buy an HDMI --> DVI cable :-(

Dutch said:
Using component video from either the HD-A1

If any HD-DVDs come out with the ICT flag set, you won't be getting a 1080i/720P via component either :( So far none of the initial releases have this flag set :)

Hmm.

If Sky HD doesn't require HDCP, how come I can't get sky to work via HDMI --> DVI cable?

Not requiring HDCP (at this stage) makes it possible for the component output to produce Hi-Def. The HDMI connection still requires an HDCP-compliant input on the screen. Remember that even watching a DVD at standard def. over a digital conenction (DVI or HDMI) requires HDCP - the studios mandated it to minimise the risk of high quality copies becoming common-place.

tamlaras said:
Hmm.

If Sky HD doesn't require HDCP, how come I can't get sky to work via HDMI --> DVI cable?
you need to check that the ouput of sky is compatible with the DVI input specs, ie does the DVi input accept the output of the sky box?
ie 1280x720p or 1920x1080i critically at 50Hz

Good point, well made, by the distinguished HD.

tamaralas,

Did you get the on-screen HDCP error message when trying to connect Sky-HD, or was there no picture at all?

I think the error said "out of range". :oops:
Lookin at the manual all of the DVI modes appear to be 60Hz PC modes :(

Ah well good job I didn't pay too much for the cable :eek:

Thanks for all you help.

Done some more testing on the HD-A1.

The setup menu works just fine over HDMI --> DVI at 420p, 720p and 1080i but as soon as I try to play a disk I get HDMI error 1 on the player.

So it looks like HDCP that is defeating me there.

Hi all.
The 40 series screens DVI port has always been listed as "PC only", it only supports 60hz and is not HDCP, the HDMI port supports both 50 and 60Hz and is HDCP. If you have more than one HDSMI source you wish to feeed the screen then either a AV amp with HDMI switching or a separate switcher box is required. Same goes for every other screen made that has only one HDMI....;)

tamlaras said:
As the DVI port on my Fuji P50XHA40US doesn't support HDCP does this mean that it is not suitable to connect either my Sky HD box or my Toshiba HD-A1 to.

I only have 1 HDMI port so am looking for ways to connect both up.

M8 I have the same display and several HDMI devices. One option is an HDMI switch such as the Octava 3-1. It's about £119 from Joe at TMF and that's what I use.

AVI

tamlaras, I have a 58series Fuji with SKYHD...I have it linked by both HDMI (£35 2m) and component (£8 5m ) so I can continually compare...all comparisions so far have proven to me that component without doubt produces the best picture...watching a HD I can't really see much of a difference between the two but SD is much better via component...you can see flaws in the HDMI picture you can't see using component.

I certainly wouldn't buy a switcher to keep the SKYHD connected via HDMI if I were you :thumbsup:

Avi said:
M8 I have the same display and several HDMI devices. One option is an HDMI switch such as the Octava 3-1. It's about £119 from Joe at TMF and that's what I use.
AVI

Thanks for that Avi.
Out of interest, what devices do you have attached via the switch?

JUS said:
tamlaras, I have a 58series Fuji with SKYHD...I have it linked by both HDMI (£35 2m) and component (£8 5m ) so I can continually compare...all comparisions so far have proven to me that component without doubt produces the best picture...watching a HD I can't really see much of a difference between the two but SD is much better via component...you can see flaws in the HDMI picture you can't see using component.

I certainly wouldn't buy a switcher to keep the SKYHD connected via HDMI if I were you :thumbsup:

Looks like I need to get my head round the back of my unit and do some cable swapping. Watch this space....

tamlaras said:
Thanks for that Avi.
Out of interest, what devices do you have attached via the switch?

The Tosh A1 and a Lumagen HPD. I take the A1 direct as IMO the PQ is better direct than going via the Luma but all my other SD sources go into the Luma.

AVI

JUS said:

Makes sense. Has been discussed in other threads that using HDMI, the HD box outputs 576p (not 576i) when set in "auto" mode. Hence we are stuck with the de-interlacing in the HD box, which may not be as good as that fitted into our expensive displays (or VPs, in some lucky members cases!).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom