1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI players and Optoma H56 newbie question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rjg, Dec 14, 2003.

1. rjg

rjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My first post - so go easy :cool:

I've just got my first PJ, the Optoma H56, mainly due to its special offer price at the moment. I'm pretty impressed so far, but I'm leaning towards getting permission from the purse-string-holder for an upgrade to the DVD player. Current player is a Marantz DV4100OSE, which I'm currently having to use via s-video.

After reading a lot of stuff here and on AVS just lately I can see some compelling reasons to go for a DVI-equipped player, and in particular it seems that the days of getting a non-HDCP player to match my non-HDCP PJ might be numbered... I saw today that the Bravo D2 looks like it has HDCP. This kind of makes me think that the non-HDCP-ness of the Optoma is already becoming a liability !

So what I'm after is probably the Momitsu V880, although I'm a little bit put off when some posts talk about rebuilding it or flashing the firmware every day....

Any opinions welcome - especially from anyone who is actually using the Momitsu/H56 combo.

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

A couple of us will have the Yamakawa 365Divx soon, this is based on the same chipsets as the Bravo, Momitsu etc but supposedly better build quality. I believe it is HDCP free.

I have a non HDCP projector too and tried it with the HDCP Samsung HD935.

Surprisingly it works in 720p mode (giving 1280x720 1:1 pixel mapping that looks lovely) just fine even though it shouldn't!

Might be worth a look?

Cheers
    Marc

3. rjg

rjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes, I saw the Yamakawa mentioned - looks like a possibility, although I think I'll wait for someone to do the testing...

Regarding the Samsung, wasn't there an issue about it forcing 60Hz for PAL, while it seems that the Momitsu/Yamakawa can do 50Hz ?

Thanks for the info.