DVI Player(s) for Panny AE300?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by monkeynuts, Sep 4, 2004.

1. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Having swapped my HS2 for the AE300 i now have a DVI connection....

I have searched the forums on numerous occasions for "budget" DVI players and have only managed to find the Samsung and a Yak....?(not sure on the name).

Is there going to be a sudden influx of DVI equipped players hitting the market soon as it seems to be not the way forward!?

am i really going to see any benifits over my current component connection?

CAn anyone briefly summarise the DVI technology and what different ouputs there are as it was very confusing reading all about 720P etc!

Many thanks

Sam

2. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI will be overtaken by HDMI in very short order, so don't expect large numbers of DVI players to appear over the horizon. You are also in a difficult position with the AE300 as it is not HDCP-compliant. That eliminates any HDMI player (which can be used with HDCP-compliant DVI inputs with an HDMI to DVI converter) from the picture, along with many current DVI-only players (such as Samsung). Your options are limited to non-HDCP DVI players such as the Yamakawa and Momitsu, or a home theatre PC.

DVI carries a 24-bit RGB digital video signal, bypassing a DVD player's video DACs (but not the deinterlacer or MPEG decoder). This may result in visible improvements (more detail, better colour accuracy) if the player's DAC isn't of good quality or the projector/plasma's analogue video inputs are poor.

With fixed panel devices (LCD/plasma) DVI also allows for custom video resolutions that match the native resolution of the playback device. If the plasma/projector's scaler isn't of good quality this can produce a smoother picture. If the player is an upscaling model this also avoids scaler concatenation (bad).

As you'll notice there are a lot of 'ifs' and 'maybes' as there are no guarantees that DVI will produce a picture that is better than analogue component video. However, as the analogue inputs on the AE100/200/300/500 aren't the greatest, DVI is probably the way to go.

720p is a high definition video format (1280 pixels wide by 720 high) as compared to the AE300's native 960x540 panel resolution. DVD is 720 pixels wide by 576 or 480 pixels high, so always needs to be scaled up to your projector's resolution. A DVD player can do this (via DVI usually), or it can be done by your projector. A DVD scaled to 720p will then have to be scaled back down to 960x540, so isn't a good idea, but an actual 720p HDTV signal will only need to be scaled down, which is better.

Ideally you want to scale sources to match the exact resolution of the AE300, but unfortunately this isn't possible (because the panel resolution is a little unusual, although it's possible with the AE100/200/500 and the upcoming 700). The Momitsu 880 has a video output setting specifically for the AE300, but it will still result in the image being scaled twice. If I were you, I would use a Yamakawa or Momitsu outputting 480p or 576p (unscaled DVD resolution) via DVI into the AE300 and leave it at that without worrying about upscaling 720p modes. Just MHO, of course.

Adam

4. Big Davy

Big Davy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just got a momitsu v880 from Hong Kong flix. I read all the info on the panny and came to the same conclusion as the rest of the guys, a300 will only work with dvi on non hdcp players, of which only momitsu seemed to be guaranteed to work. To cut a very long story short the picture is fantastic but not the leap in quality you would think from my £50 progressive scan amw DVD player.

The build quality on momitsu is crap. The first one I got had a dead DVD drive in it, the second one was dead too, with a screw rattling around in it until I opened it up and fiddled with it to get it to work!

However, the momitsu does have a custom DVI setting for a300 and imho it is a great job.

Hope this is of help.

Dave
    Belfast
    :beer:

5. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thats a cracking set of replies!
    Sounds like the AE300 isn't the easiest thing to get the best picture with!

I do remember seeing the momitsu being mentioned, so i'll do a bit more research and printout that superb guide to DVI and resolutions etc...it really has cleared a lot up!

Many thanks to all :)

Avforums works wonders again!

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I use a sony ns930 to my ae300 and the picture is really beautiful via component and progressive scan

I know you can get increases in performance though, but standard component works very well for me at the moment with the ae300

7. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Although dvi is the best connection to use, component would be just as good on the ae300 because dvi would output 720p or 1080p res. The ae300 would hande a progressive 625i signal better because of it's native resolution. the ae300 doesnt surport 1:1 pixal mapping,so it would have to scale down any dvi signal anyway with it's internal deinterlacer. dvi would be best used on a native 720p projector because then it would match the projectors res 1:1 without any scaling. just my thoughts i used component on my ae300 via a sony ns930 dvdplayer, cost me £225.

8. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Have to admit that i have left the DVI route for the moment, spent some time fiddling with component out from my LIMIT dvd player and amd more than amazed by the picture....must stop worrying about the equipment and just watch some damn films!

Also got a VGA lead for video out from PC and its so much better than S-Video.

Thanks for help :)