1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI picture quality of HCPC DVD playback seems poor!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cliocarl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Must be an easy fix for this.

Running TX100 using DVI connection, im using MSI DVD software just like POWER DVD it is problem is picture quality seems very poor through the DVI cable.

I firstly feel that the DVI cable I have may be a DVI-I and not DVI-D does that make a difference?

Also could it be the software?

Card settings on the 6600GT maybe?

What dya reakon? Only just watched footy on sky and thought that the picture quality through s-video seemed much more nicer!

When watching DVDs through DVI i feel like im watching a poorly ripped copy!

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Most likely its the software you are using, the difference between software players is huge. To me power dvd looks absolutely **** as does nero dvd player, ati dvd player and win dvd. Try theatertek or zoomplayer using the sonic or nvidia decoders, then you can get aquainted with the potential knightmare that is ffdshow. Try posting this in the hcpc forum you should get plent of advise on which software to use and how to set it up. Dvd played on a hcpc can only be matched by the most expensive of settop players, stick with it and you will be amazed at the results.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As well as the software concerns fallwood mentions, how long is the cable? Longer than about 7.5m you'll start getting problems with 'standard' quality brands.

Have you set up for 1:1 mapping on the PC, without that you'll be using the pj's scaler which may be pretty average (I don't know the model).

4. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nvidia's NVDVD 4.0 codec is amazing!! WMV9 overlay and FFDshow (in zoomplayer Pro) - absolutley wee's all over my old stand-alone player (Toshiba SD-220E)

Definitatley change your codecs.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Would also agree with changing the codecs, this made a massive difference to my dvd playback.

Also as Kragorn has stated make sure that you are running 1:1.

6. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right cheers for those replies, I now feel like an amateur with all this nice kit going to waste.

I think I will drop this into the HCPC forum section but if any of you people above are able to provide further info that would be great.

First off how do I ensure I am getting 1:1 pixel mapping?

People mention this FFDshow what is this?

Thanx

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1:1 mapping means your Windows desktop resolution is the same as your projector, this means the PC does the scaling and the projector simply displays what it gets .. scalers on many projectors are poor compared to a PC.

If you're running nVidia drivers version 67.03 or later you can select Custom Resolutions if the one you need isn't a Windows standard or one nVidia automatically 'know', eg. 1280x720 (aka HDTV).

FFDSHOW is a video post-processor, which does scaling better than video cards in the main, and is best discussed in the HTPC forum, a quick Search there will get you more info than you want. :)

8. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

This is an amazing guide to ffdshow - simply shows you the basics.
    This is generally a great website for home theatre PC's although it is american, so the products they talk about are sometimes unavailable over here.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yup, that's the article I learned from to get it up and running .. then followed much tweaking and twiddling. :D