1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Output?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Steven G, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Steven G

Steven G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - apologies if this is a stupid question....but, I have a Hitachi plasma 42" and an old Pioneer 626 DVD player - at the moment I connect via S-Video and that works fine. Anyway, I want to get a good home cinema kit - DVD player + speakers etc...so I've been looking at the Denon DHT-500SD and that looks like the one for me. But, I've got this DVI Connection on the back of the TV which apparently gives better picture quality so I'd like a DVD player that supports DVI out. But I can't see if the Denon supports it, actually all the home cinema kits I've looked at (<£500) don't seem to support it.

What can I do? Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with all this :(

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Steven

2. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The dht-500 doesn't have dvi out. It has a good quality component video out for dvd play back though, which is the next best thing. If you want dvi out you probably need to get a separate dvd player and receiver. The denon DVD-1910 dvd player and AVR-1905 receiver would be good entry level choices (but there are many other options out there).

3. lee_d_m

lee_d_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    hi Steven,

I have a Philips 32pf9986 LCD TV, this also has a DVI socket. I also have the Denon DHT-500SD.

The Philips TV comes with a DVI - VGA Adaptor and a Component - VGA lead.

I then purchased a component lead myself and connected up as follows.

Denon - Component out - Component/VGA lead - VGA/DVI adapter - DVI on TV.

This works a treat and picture quality is awesome, especially with progressive scan

Hope this helps

Lee

4. Steven G

Steven G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the response guys - I'd like seperates but I'm not sure if I really want to spend that amount...I've found a deal with the Amp/Mission M30i speakers for £690 + the 1910 @£190. Not ideal :(

To be honest I've never seen the quality of DVI... would I be loosing much quality if I used the various adapters?

Oh, another thing - I've read a few posts about the Denon having a loud fan... is this true ?

Thanks for the help :)
    Steven

5. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You won't get dvi quality when using the adaptors the point of the dvi connection is to keep the picture in a digital format from the dvd to the screen. This results in no picture quality loss. When connecting via component the picture is converted to analog and then back to digital for display on the lcd.

Picture quality is such a subjective thing I can't tell you what to do.Though the quality will still be good with component you'll be able to tell the difference with a dvi connection. It's up to you whether you believe that difference is enough to justify the extra expense.

6. Steven G

Steven G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've went for the Denon anyway... component will do I suppose.......until the next time :)

Cheers for the advice guys