1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI output HDMI input

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by goldy777, May 24, 2005.

1. goldy777

goldy777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DVD player (Samsung HD748) with a DVI output and I want to connect it to a projector Panasonic AE700E which has a HDMI input. Do I need any special cables or any adaptors ?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello goldy777

'Special cable' - no not really all you require is a properly designed/constructed DVI to HDMI cable; lots of options these days.

The length of cable required may have some bearing on which cable you want to consider for your install - DVI has limitations on cable length.

Best regards

Joe

3. goldy777

goldy777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe thanks for the reply. The length of connecting cable involved will be about 16 - 17 feet. From what I've read this would seem to be short enough to ensure that no limitations are met or signal loss occurs. Would you agree ?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello goldy777

At 5m (16.4') we've had very few problems - though step up another couple of meters and it can be a quite different story.

You could consider a budget Molex or higher quality BetterCables at 5m - others may have alternative solutions.

Best regards

Joe