DVI output gone awol on DVD32R PSM

PhilCTTE

A few months back the DVI output failed from the PSM and the DVD32R display went crazy. Displaying all sorts of nonsense. No error codes just spurious characters. For a few days the DVD would not reset. I left it off for a week and tried again and since then it seems to be performing ok, but the DVI output of the PSM is still dead. I leave the unit powered down and only fire it up for the odd CD / DVD . Believe it or not I'm one of the few who still have the original transport mech working. I know that I should get the unit overhauled along with my 7 year old AV32R DP unit, but do not have the spare readies. So for the moment I've opted for the component output from the PSM which works fine for DVD,s which is connected to the Pioneer media box. Originally I had SKY+ routed thru the DVD player and output via DVI to my Pioneer media box, but after the DVI failed I had to route the SVideo out from the SKY+ box directly into the Pioneer media box. Surely if the component output is working why does this not output the SKY signal. I think that there maybe other problems with the inputs on the DVD player or AV32R. To be honest I've totally forgotten how to connect SKY+ the AV32R and the DVD PSM to Pioneer media box and I'm not sure which connections are working or not. I find the PSM labels on the DVD player confusing. Do I take the Svideo out from the SKY into the sVideo "SAT-S" on the AV32R then output from AV32R svideo "OUT + OSD" into the PSM "in-S" connection then output all signals via the PSM "component (G) (B) (R)" into the component input of the Pioneer box.? Hope all is well for all you TAG users out there many thanks in advance:smashin:

Barry.NI

I do not have an AV32R but a AV192R, but looking back at my original TAG notes, you connect the s-video from the SKY+ box to one of the S connections (TV) on the AV32R. The AV323R S-Video output + OSD goes to the DVD32R's IN-S. You then connect either DVI or Component RGB to the monitor. There is also a composite connection, but I believe that was for the VCR, the instructions are dated 2002!

You then need to configure the PSM 192.
Change set up followed by input options/psm192, followed by PSM192 configuration. There is quite a lot more about configuring the the PSM output, for instance if the colours are wrong, try switching from RGB with Sync on the green, to YPrPb or vice versa. If you are still having problems PM me with your address and I will photocopy the instructions and post them to you.

PhilCTTE

Ok thanks I've connected everything as you sugested. I'll look up the DVD menu options for any PSM configuration options. Will play about with it later tonight. Thanks for your reply.

PhilCTTE

I'd remembered the right connections. Went thru the PSM192 Progressive Scan options but it was all enabled with the right output format , not much else to configure. Went thru the entire setup process first time setup wizard option on the AV32R, and again could not see what to amend. Anyway hey presto picture appeared and had to press the sat button to get 5.1 audio. Switched it all off and on again and it seemed to default the right audio selection this time, setup tagtronic bus link to automatically switch on DVD to activate PSM. The only annoying default now is when the DVD switches on it assumes you wish to play a DVD, what I would like is it to default to SAT. I dont mind so much , but the other half gets in a tizz and presses all the buttons going:suicide: I just hope the DVD doesn't get overworked again and I have to revert back to non PSM :eek:

My other problem now is I cant get the TAG sync link to work have message on AV32R "no Tag Sync Link" , but when I press OK to view current process the audio states SAT 5.1 -T2L. My connections are "out" from DVD with the "in" capped with plastic plug going to Sync on AV32R. Cable is a high quality analogue.

Other worries which may have caused the DVD player to freak out is that both units run v. hot!!. Units are on same shelf with a 12cm clearance above and a 4 cm clearance apart. I think due to routing SKY thru PSM module and therefore having to switch on DVD player for greater lengths of time is causing an increase in heat. Crossed finger this time.

O

oajungen

You connected the TAG sync link in the wrong way.
You should use the Input on the DVD player, when connecting it to the output of the AV32. The AV32 is controlling the internal clock of the DVD, so that's why it should be connected this way.

PhilCTTE

I'm sure Ive tried both the input and output on the DVD. Do you have to cap off the unused ouput with the plastic plug on the DVD ?

There is only one connection on the AV right ? So its just getting the right socket on the DVD ...?

Is the analogue cable sufficient ?

O

oajungen

The Cap is removed and there is only one connection on the AV32. So it should be quite easy to connect actually. All this is mentioned in the manual, did you read it?

lovegroova

I'm sure Ive tried both the input and output on the DVD. Do you have to cap off the unused ouput with the plastic plug on the DVD ?

There is only one connection on the AV right ? So its just getting the right socket on the DVD ...?

Is the analogue cable sufficient ?

You need to remove the cap/shorting plug from the DVD32 or the sync link won't work (see page 16 of the DVD32 manual).

PhilCTTE

RTFM !! Cheers guys

Barry.NI

Tag recommended 100mm clearance between units, I appreciate that this is not always practical. The advertising pictures for TAG showing three units stacked on top of each other was a misrepresentation. The SKY+ box has a built in fan, but the DVD player especially when used as a PSM unit, should really have more clearance. I have also started to switch my units off at night, though I know that this is not really recommended, but they did get quite hot, even though they have lots of clearance. You will of course get a 'No Tag Sync Link' on anything other than DVD

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom