1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI output from a Sky+ box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bluebaron, Oct 4, 2002.

1. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if this is possible with some homebrew mods? I know there is a company doing something along these lines but I seem to remember it being very expensive.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think it highly unlikely you would get DVI, SDI might be a possibilty but you might be talking silly money.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    No yoghurt pots....John Dawson is giving a talk about Composite/Svideo and RGB/Component so I guess that's his bag baby....

Gordon

4. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I think the company that does the conversions are converting to SDI. What plasmas can take an SDI input? Also what is SDI?

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Adelphi lot used to but I am not sure nowdays

from an old thread

SDI (Serial Digital Interface) SMPTE 259M (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers). This is getting increasing press in the last few months, particularly now Vigetec (lezza and others) are starting to support this standard. Actually the standard has been around for a considerable time and is actually a professional interface rather than a consumer one. There has been a small cottage industry in the UK modifying satellite, DVD players and Plasma displays to support this standard. This has been on going for several years in the UK. Results have been impressive. 259M is a 10 bit serial digital interface that goes down a single (high quality) co-ax cable. It basically transmits an uncompressed component signal from what I can make out. Cable quality and connectors are very important and proper termination is essential. Digital interfaces are all or nothing unlike their analogue counterparts, which will make a decent stab at showing a picture. 259M is a 270Mbps interface generally. The 270Mhz bandwidth is not all used for Video however, only 215Mbps max. 55 Mbps are used for additional information.

6. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I've been reading up on an SDI kit I can use on the Sky+ box. This looks the way to go.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Moved to Sky+ forum.

8. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Bluebaron, any further info the SDI mod kit for the Sky+ box

9. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really. It's possible, but expensive and tricky to do yourself. When I buy my Pioneer plasma 433MXE I'll probably take another look. My ultimate aim would be to have the DVD, Digital terrestrial and Sky all going through an SDI switcher to the single SDI input on the Pioneer.

Second problem is you have to buy a third party card for the Pioneer that costs around £1200:(