DVI output from a Sky+ box?

B

bluebaron

Anyone know if this is possible with some homebrew mods? I know there is a company doing something along these lines but I seem to remember it being very expensive.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I think it highly unlikely you would get DVI, SDI might be a possibilty but you might be talking silly money.

B

bluebaron

Actually, I think the company that does the conversions are converting to SDI. What plasmas can take an SDI input? Also what is SDI?

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by bluebaron
What plasmas can take an SDI input?

The Adelphi lot used to but I am not sure nowdays

Originally posted by bluebaron
Also what is SDI?

from an old thread

SDI (Serial Digital Interface) SMPTE 259M (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers). This is getting increasing press in the last few months, particularly now Vigetec (lezza and others) are starting to support this standard. Actually the standard has been around for a considerable time and is actually a professional interface rather than a consumer one. There has been a small cottage industry in the UK modifying satellite, DVD players and Plasma displays to support this standard. This has been on going for several years in the UK. Results have been impressive. 259M is a 10 bit serial digital interface that goes down a single (high quality) co-ax cable. It basically transmits an uncompressed component signal from what I can make out. Cable quality and connectors are very important and proper termination is essential. Digital interfaces are all or nothing unlike their analogue counterparts, which will make a decent stab at showing a picture. 259M is a 270Mbps interface generally. The 270Mhz bandwidth is not all used for Video however, only 215Mbps max. 55 Mbps are used for additional information.

B

bluebaron

Thanks. I've been reading up on an SDI kit I can use on the Sky+ box. This looks the way to go.

lynx

Moved to Sky+ forum.

B

bluebaron

Not really. It's possible, but expensive and tricky to do yourself. When I buy my Pioneer plasma 433MXE I'll probably take another look. My ultimate aim would be to have the DVD, Digital terrestrial and Sky all going through an SDI switcher to the single SDI input on the Pioneer.

Second problem is you have to buy a third party card for the Pioneer that costs around £1200:(

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom