• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVI or VGA through MCE can anyone advise?

stonecoldbossma

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have just purchased a Samsung 50" plasma (PS50C7HDX). I am running this through Vista MCE.

The problem I have is the tv only has a VGA and HDMI not a DVI connector I wanted to use the HDMI input not the VGA to get the highest quality ... I am doing this using a DVI cable from my graphics card and then using a DVI to HDMI convertor. This hasnt worked out how I expected as I can not use any of the TV adjustments for PC input built into the tv as it only sees this connection as an HDMI .. I have very limited resolutions I can use in games etc (hd ones I think, hope this make sense?).

I best setting I am going to get is if I use the VGA connector on TV (I think), to do this I will use a DVI cable from my PC and then a VGA converter (my GF only has DVI out) but I am worried I will not get the best quality? ...is VGA any good the TV's resolution is 1366 x 768 VGA OK for this especially in the future when I am getting HD content from telewest, hd dvd player etc.

Any help would be appreciated I am thinking of sending the TV back and getting something with DVI input ... am I being too finicky .. I just want the best quality I can get for my money, and not regret it in a few years when there is more HD content about.

Thanks in advance.. as said any comment, advise would be very much appreciated I only have a few days to send it back.

Lee

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
HDMI on a lot of TV's just does not work properly, I resorted to VGA with NVidia 6600 graphics card set at 1360x768 @ 60Hz and get a very good display. Also with Plasmas be very careful with screen burn, use screen savers etc to help. This site may help you http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/
Also have you set up your graphics card with the latest drivers, you have not mentioned what card you are using, I know with NVidia you get a lot of settings for scaling, 720p and 1080i.

Punce

Established Member
I was using the VGA port on a Sony KDL-40W2000 1080p LCD the other day, and the maximum resolution I could feed it was 1360x768 @ 60Hz, which resulted in a smaller window in the centre of the screen, and I had to use the FULL setting on the tv to stretch it. Apparently only the DVI port on that set allows 1080 resolution.
Didn't have a HDMI converter to try :(
The reason for this has something to do with protecting content (HDCP) which I currently know nothing about.

stonecoldbossma

Standard Member
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply ..the card I have is Gainward GeForce 7900GT Bliss and it does do 720p which is what I have it set to at the moment.. which seem good the problem is the edge of the desktop is missing and as said before I can’t adjust it because the tv doesn’t see it as a PC input.. the other problem is that games have preset resolutions for you to select and they don’t include 720p

MCE is Ok there’s nothing missing which is the main activity so I should really just accept it, but as you may have guessed I don’t know too much about this and so was just checking have purchased the right tv for my needs … cant help thinking I should have got one with dvi input.

I will check out the link thanks.

stonecoldbossma

Standard Member
Hi Punce,

My tv is only 720p which is why it only comes woith VGA pressumably ... I will get a converter and try the vga connector today hopefully .. the bottom line for me is am I going to get a better picture tryingto use the hdmi connection than the vga @ 720p?

Thanks .. will let you know how I get on with the vga.

chaparral

Prominent Member
Chances are....Your only going be able to get 1:1 pixel mapping on the VGA input...

The HDMI input will most likely have between 4% & 6% over scan on it.So 1:1 pixel mapping will not be possible on the HDMI input...

(You maybe lucky and your plasma TV may support 1:1 on the HDMI input..But almost all plasma TV screen don't.)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom