1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI or VGA for PC input to a PW6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GSXRMovistar, Sep 15, 2004.

1. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

I've had my PW6 for a few weeks now and have so far been extremely impressed with it. In its current setup I have a HTPC hooked up to it via the VGA port feeding a native 856x480 signal to it.

My question is would I get a better picture if I opted for a DVI terminal board and feed the signal from the DVI output of my PC?

Many thanks.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Technically speaking you would be using the better transmission medium, but you will be limited to 60Hz only so all your PAL sources will need conversion up from 50Hz to 60Hz which will introduce "judder". Might be better to post in the HCPC forum...

3. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone else? :confused:

I've also posted in the HCPC section but not getting any response and I'd like to get a bit more info as I was going to pick up the new board tomorrow.

Thanks.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry didn't mean to be so brief!! You should be able to get the better picture. There will be no digital to analogue, and then analogue back to digital conversion so the picture will have less visible "noise" than the picture you have at the moment. We're not talking a huge difference, but it should appear notably cleaner.

However, the DVI input on the panasonic will only accept 60Hz refresh rate. I suggest you rig your system up at the moment to only use 60Hz, then watch some PAL material (which would be at 50Hz) to see if you notice an judder - picture stutterring a bit from the conversion of a 50Hz signal to 60Hz. If it's something you can live with then you may as well go for the DVI board. If the judderring annoys then you will not be able to get on with the DVI card so may as well stick with what you have. TBH we very rarely setup Panasonic's with DVI because of niggly little things like this and we can get an analogue picture to just as good :)

5. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the extra info Liam, I'll try out your suggestion tomorrow to see if i notice any judder.

I've only got two things I want to hook up to my PW6 (Sky box and HTPC), I wasn't expecting to have so many problems deciding how to connect them so I had the best picture. Decisions decisions :(

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    How did you get on???