DVi or HDMI?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AML, Aug 22, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I dont know if u guys have had this debate b4, but id like to know which is/going to be the wining cable.
    Currently DVi seems to have the best support since PCs use them and most new TVs have the conections. So far ive only seen HDMI on a few DVD players and only 1 or 2 newer TV sets.

Quality wise, which would u guys say is better for both AV uses and PC uses? Can HDMI be used for the PC?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    HDMI is effectively DVI with multi-channel audio and HDCP. There is NO quality difference between the two as they are carrying the same signal. Indeed HDMI and DVI are totally interchangable which is why it is possible to get HDMI > DVI cables (and vice versa). Such cables are frequently used on Plasmas which have DVI.

Needless to say nothing is ever that simple. What can potentially make HDMI incompatible is your Screen which needs to support HDCP (if you want to connect to a DVD player) and the resolution being pushed out by the playing device. If your just connecting a PC then content protection isn't an issue.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

HDMI also has the advantage of being able to carry 480i and 576i signals, and can also use longer cable lengths than DVI, which is limited to about 7m. Hope this helps

Steve

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    AML

If the Movie houses get there way you will be hard pushed to see any 'Consumer' Video Sources, Switchers, Processors and Displays launched in future that have anything but HDMI on board.

The key being that HDMI is heavily copy protected whilst current Analogue and DVI signals are not - with the exception of Macro Vision on some Analogue signals.

DVI was never intended to carry video over long distances so is more difficult to get right once you go over 5m and tops out at about 15m with (High Quality) conventional Copper cables - you can go much longer with 'active' Fibre Optic DVI cables.

HDMI is good for 20m though the cables are currently hard to get and quite costly.

Whilst DVI and HDMI are sort of interchangeable there are differences and the best option for you will depend on your current and future kit list - if I had to choose one cable I'd go DVI as DVI equipped Displays are generally more fussy than HDMI equipped displays and its less likely to be a problem to add an HDMI adapter to the end of a long DVI cable.

HDMI Inputs are currently generally set by the Hardware manufacturers to accept a range of Video signals not PC signals - though there's nothing in the HDMI spec that limits the input to Video signals only; its simply the Hardware manufacturers are Implementing the Minimum allowable spec list for an HDMI approved Input.

Best regards

Joe

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    thanks all! still not completely clear on which system is better but they both seem the same (quality wise) but we need to consider more than just the quality! Cable length and build, and conectivity.
    At the moment DVi wins since most of my stuff has it but no HDMI conections yet!