DVI or HDMI to CAT 5E extenders

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jokerib, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jokerib

jokerib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

In my never ending search for ways of how to connect my PC to an LCD I came across these devices which allow the use of CAT 5E cables and serve as a "convertor" between the signal coming out of the PC video card from a DVI output and then using a remote unit connect to HDMI on LCD.

Up till know I found two makes. One is the IOGEAR DVI video extender kit and the other is an HDMI Cat 5e Cat6 extender from TechFocus. There is a wide price difference between the two. Does anyone have any experience with these devices and what is your opinion on their performance.

Thanks
    IAN

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello jokerib

Lots of variations on the DVI over CAT5 theme - most use 2 x CAT5 cables some 1 x CAT5 cable.

Some units will also support Audio, some will support HDCP, some will offer EDID learn modes and some have adjustable signal equalisation.

Some units will cope with DVI only others will cater for DVI or HDMI signals.

You need to look at the resolution you want to send, how far you want to send it and how much quality you are wiling to give away (if any) when deciding what units to try out in your system.

A couple more options for you:

RT COM USA - Product Catalog and HDMI Ethernet extender. Transmit 1080i HDMI to 300ft

Joe