1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI or Component?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Brakeinup, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking for a dvd player for my Acer 32" lcd. The screen has both component and dvi inputs. Audio would be handled via optical.

Would you recommend to get a dvi capable dvd player or will component outs be sufficient?

Thanks

2. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i think this realy depends on the player. on many players component provides a better or equal picture to digital outputs.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Try them both.

4. mark pallister

mark pallister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i would get a player with dvi or at least one that upscales to the reselution of your tv

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello Brakeinup

Your question should be 'Is a Digital connection better than an Analogue connection?' - and the Answer is 'Maybe!'.

YUV 'Component' video signals can be transmitted over a Digital (DVI/ HDMI) or Analogue (in most cases 3 x RCA) interconnect.

The same Video signal flows down the Digital (DVI) and Analogue (3RCA) connection in your theoretical system - so the real world differences are down to how badly (or not) any Digital to Analogue and Analogue to Digital conversions that go on within the Source and Display when using the Analogue 'Component' connection happen.

Many folk assume Digital is best and this is not always true - the most recent DVD players are likely to have more time and effort spent on ensuring the Digital (DVI or HDMI) Outputs offer the best connection on any given Player; though your still depending on the Screen to have a well Implemented Digital Input and video processing circuitry.

If you have both Analogue and Digital Inputs on your Screen plus Analogue and Digital Outputs on your DVD player then try both connection methods - keep in mind too your Screen will have to be HDCP compliant on its Digital Input if your chosen player has an HDMI or DVI with HDCP Digital Output.

Best regards

Joe

6. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your your responses - much appreciated!

My screen is HDCP compliant (Acer AT3201W) and does have both types of connection.

I think I will follow your advice Joe and get myself a dvd player that has both outputs. I do want to get the best out of the screen as I can so time for some testing!

(This has also made me decide to put both a dvi cable and a component cable in the installation - all of the cables are going to be sunk in the wall).