1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI or Component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Weggie, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I have just purchased a Sharp LC26GA4 TV that has DVI-I and Component inputs. My DVD players only have Scart so I was thinking about upgrading my DVD player.

Most people on here go for component but with DVI/HDMI being digital, which is the better option or will give the better picture?

Thanks.

2. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    :( any one?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, on paper, the DVI/HDMI connection has to be superior, but whether the expense of replacing the gear will be worth it has to be your decision.

4. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The problem I have is that I am going to need to replace my equipment any way! I have just purchased an LCD TV with DVI and Component and neither of my current DVD players support either and I would love to see an improvement on the picture when watching films.

I can either buy a Sony with a Mark Grant Component cable for £150-160 or a Denon 1910 and a DVI for £200-220. I only need a short run (of 6') so should not experience data loss, etc on DVI.

The only other question therefore, will the Denon make my DVD's look any better? It says it has DVI Digital Video Output: 720p/ 1080i Scaling, Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja and Dual 54 MHz High Resolution Video D/A Converters but is this meaningless on your average DVD? Would we need to move to Blueray or what ever the next leap forward is to watch DVD's at these higher resolutions?

5. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will make your DVD's look as good as they're ever gonna look at that price range...
    The 1910 seems to be a good stop gap and not extortionately priced before people may choose to move to blu-ray or hd-dvd in 2-4 years.
    Not to mention that there are already enhanced definition DVD's which have higher definition pictures (not 720 or 1080 lines of information) but theyre more detailed than standard DVD's.