Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVI or Component for Z2 / 3805

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xavk1, Dec 5, 2004.

1. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Guys,

Been reading the threads for some time now, considering buying a DVD to complete my system. I am currently using an Xbox with the MS high definition pack and feel that a dedicated piece of hardware will (hopefully) give better results with the rest of my equipment (Sanyo Z2 PJ, Denon 3805 amp etc as per my sig).

I am in two minds about which approach to take. As I see it I can either:

- go for component and let the amp do the upscaling
    - go for dvi and let the player do the scaling

I am conscious that I do not want to buy a product that has significant known issues such as black crush / chroma bug, which seems to rule out the new Denons.

Image quality is by far the biggest consideration as I rarely listen to CDs. DVDA and SACD are nice to haves, but not essential at this stage. Multiregion is a must (inc RCE), but copies / SVCDs / Divx are optional.

Budget is variable – I will spend what I must to get the best picture, but would rather spend £100-300 if something in that bracket meets my needs.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Xav

2. Topgunn

Topgunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huh, does the 3805 have an internal scaler? If so, I should get me one too.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are you suer this has an internal scaler? This doesn't sound right, normally amps have something called an internal up-convertor which 'upgrades' a signal from Video To S-Video To Component.
    It doesn't actually give you a better picture, it just allows you to run less cables to your display.
    Hope this helps. (Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong)
    Azzo

4. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    my mistake - thanks for pointing it out guys (it was late when I posted). I meant that it upconverts to Component

5. Topgunn

Topgunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd opt for a dvdplayer which upscales through component, cause it seems that the Z2 can not handle 720p@50hz through dvi very well.

6. MWD

MWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im also looking for the best (non htpc) connection to a z2. Just bought a pioneer 575 to try with component and have to say the picture is much improved. I couldnt help but wonder about dvi so hoping to get a samsung 945 to try soon. Yamakawa dvd player gets a fair bit of praise here too so try that one.