DVI on Pioneer PDP-505PE - timing

kubeek

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a pioneer PDP-505PE plasma panel, but unfortunately the media receiver got stolen. I am trying to supplement the MR with a HTPC. So far I got to communicate with the TV through the system connector and made it to turn on, the TV is able of showing nice test patterns, but I can´t get it to accept the DVI input. I tried many different timings, starting with the basic windows can access, then with Powerstrip. I found this timing:
1280x768 @ 56.25 Hz
Horizontal scan rate 45.113Khz
Horizontal front porch 048
Horizontal sync width 112
Horizontal back porch 248
Vertical refresh rate 56.25Hz
Vertical front porch 001
Vertical sync width 003
Vertical back porch 030
pixel clock = 76.15 MHz

Neither did this one work. This makes me ask two questions:
1) Is it possible that my DVI output is not actually outputting anything, because it doesn´t recognise the TV as being connected? In the service manual they say:
Although the PC signal data are displayed for the PDP-504P series panels, for the PDP-505P series panels this is not possible,
because the EDID-ROM has not been provided
My card is nvidia 8400gs. Is there any way to force it to output to the DVI?

2) Does anyone know any kind of info about the timing of the DVI signal?

Thanks for any input

kubeek

Standard Member
Ok, so I finally got the PDP-505PE to work. I will describe the necessary steps, in hope that this will help someone in the future with the same or similar problem.

First, create the Special communication device, described in the sevice manual on page 49. You will need this connector on the other side, so get some free samples. I created the device using FTDI USB-serial converter chip, because my computer doesn´t have the necesary serial port. If anyone wants, I can give you the Eagle schematic and pcb.
This device enables you to communicate with the TV and control it through computer instead of the missing media receiver. The commands described in the service manual are incomplete:
- the communication speed is 38400bd 8N1
- each command starts with 0x02 byte, then two * instead of "address" of the panel, then the command itself, then 0x03 as a stop character.
This makes a power-on command 0x02**PON0x03 (ask manual to your serial terminal how to send the 0x02 and 0x03 properly)

This all will let you turn the panel on, and display some test patterns to verify that the panel is working.

Next step is to make a DVI-DVI "extension" cable, which serves two purposes:
- fool your graphics card that some monitor is connected
- fool the panel that it is connected too
The panel uses single-link DVI, but provides no EDID ROM to act like a monitor. So you have to get a 24C02 EEPROM, and program it with suitable EDID information. The eeprom is connected to the appropriate pins on the DVI connector on the side of the graphics card, also with a resistor between +5V and hot-plug pins. The four TDMS channels (R,G,B + CLK) from the card go straight to the panel, accompanied with the DDC+5V and DDC-GND signals.

I used ponyprog to program the EEPROM, worked even through a USB-serial cable.

The panel runs at 1280*[email protected], without any need for some special timing, the panel adjusts the picture to fit the pixels perfectly. Other refresh rates work with serious flicker and brightness problems. If you try to display lower resolutions than 1280*768, the panel will switch off and require manual off-on. Higher resolutions like 1280*960 work, but are shifted and crupmpled.

Unfortunately the service manual is too big to fit the attachement, so I will try to find some permanent storage for it, right now there is at least a working file with EDID for the ponyprog. I am not sure if it will work with HDMI, but it probably should.

Attachments

• edid.zip
    368 bytes · Views: 340
Last edited:

smiler1

Standard Member
The service manual for PDP-505PE is located here: PIONEER PDP 505PE PRO 505PU SM Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics
If you can please find some more permanent space for it, I don't have any webhosting to host it.

We found your post searching for a solution to our problem with our TV. We have the same TV which we want to connect to our lap top so we can use the screen for photographs, videos from youtube etc. We don't know how to do this. We bought a VGA connector and nothing happens on the plasma screen. The laptop asked what we wanted to see as a display but that was it.

Could you help us please? We are not very good with computers or TV's.:lease:

kubeek

Standard Member
We found your post searching for a solution to our problem with our TV. We have the same TV which we want to connect to our lap top so we can use the screen for photographs, videos from youtube etc. We don't know how to do this. We bought a VGA connector and nothing happens on the plasma screen. The laptop asked what we wanted to see as a display but that was it.

Could you help us please? We are not very good with computers or TV's.:lease:
Do you have the media reciever that comes with it, or just the panel?

fishisteve

Standard Member
Hello,
I have a pro-505pu.I would like to hook to my computer as a monitor
I do not have media receiver.Do I have to have receiver or can I hook up thru video scalier or will I have to do a set up like yours with video card?I don't have the expertise unless i could get more instruction.Thanks for any input.

kubeek

Standard Member
The difference between pdp-505pu and pe seems to be just the mains voltage, so you should be able to connect it like I did. Mind you you will need a DVI source (HDMI doesn´t work too well) and the interconnect cable that came with the tv, or you can get the opposite connector than i did.

fishisteve

Standard Member
Hello,
Firsts off; I really want thank you for responding to a very old post.Very much appreciated.The device you built to communicate.You have Eagle schematic and pcb.. Also you mentioned dvi -dvi extention cable to fool the gpu and display.Is that different from a regular dvi cable? I was thinking about using a kd hd leeza 1080p to hook up my system to display.
Could you send me schematics.
Do you know of any good sources on how to copy or program eeprom chip.
I am a newbie and just learning.
Thanks Again.

fishisteve

Standard Member
The difference between pdp-505pu and pe seems to be just the mains voltage, so you should be able to connect it like I did. Mind you you will need a DVI source (HDMI doesn´t work too well) and the interconnect cable that came with the tv, or you can get the opposite connector than i did.
Hi Kubeek.
would you know the part number for opposite connector.
thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
It's not a good idea to publish your email address on a public forum.
Best to edit your post and remove it.

JojoS

Novice Member
Ok, so I finally got the PDP-505PE to work. I will describe the necessary steps, in hope that this will help someone in the future with the same or similar problem.
Great Job Kubeek!
I know your post is from some years ago, but I'm at the same point, trying to use the Panel w/o the MR (but I don't know if the panel or the MR is faulty).
I see also that there is a place on the HD panel IF board for a 24LC01, I'll try to put it there. Do you remember what R's were also necessary? And I can turn on the power by the pushbutton at the panel side, is there some communication necessary for the operation?

miguelmartins23

Novice Member

First, create the Special communication device, described in the sevice manual on page 49. You will need this connector on the other side, so get some free samples. I created the device using FTDI USB-serial converter chip, because my computer doesn´t have the necesary serial port. If anyone wants, I can give you the Eagle schematic and pcb.
This device enables you to communicate with the TV and control it through computer instead of the missing media receiver. The commands described in the service manual are incomplete:
  • the communication speed is 38400bd 8N1
  • each command starts with 0x02 byte, then two * instead of "address" of the panel, then the command itself, then 0x03 as a stop character.
This makes a power-on command 0x02**PON0x03 (ask manual to your serial terminal how to send the 0x02 and 0x03 properly)

This all will let you turn the panel on, and display some test patterns to verify that the panel is working.

Next step is to make a DVI-DVI "extension" cable, which serves two purposes:
  • fool your graphics card that some monitor is connected
  • fool the panel that it is connected too
The panel uses single-link DVI, but provides no EDID ROM to act like a monitor. So you have to get a 24C02 EEPROM, and program it with suitable EDID information. The eeprom is connected to the appropriate pins on the DVI connector on the side of the graphics card, also with a resistor between +5V and hot-plug pins. The four TDMS channels (R,G,B + CLK) from the card go straight to the panel, accompanied with the DDC+5V and DDC-GND signals.

I used ponyprog to program the EEPROM, worked even through a USB-serial cable.

The panel runs at 1280*[email protected], without any need for some special timing, the panel adjusts the picture to fit the pixels perfectly. Other refresh rates work with serious flicker and brightness problems. If you try to display lower resolutions than 1280*768, the panel will switch off and require manual off-on. Higher resolutions like 1280*960 work, but are shifted and crupmpled.

Unfortunately the service manual is too big to fit the attachement, so I will try to find some permanent storage for it, right now there is at least a working file with EDID for the ponyprog. I am not sure if it will work with HDMI, but it probably should.
I have the Pioneer plasma PDP 343 PE and because i opened the media box shes now on standby☹️.
I want to connect the Plasma to my desktop PC too like you did. Please help.

gantherBale

Novice Member
Hello,

I have a pioneer PDP-505PE plasma panel, but unfortunately the media receiver got stolen. I am trying to supplement the MR with a HTPC. So far I got to communicate with the TV through the system connector and made it to turn on, the TV is able of showing nice test patterns, but I can´t get it 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 to accept the DVI input. I tried many different timings, starting with the basic windows can access, then with Powerstrip. I found this timing:
1280x768 @ 56.25 Hz
Horizontal scan rate 45.113Khz
Horizontal front porch 048
Horizontal sync width 112
Horizontal back porch 248
Vertical refresh rate 56.25Hz
Vertical front porch 001
Vertical sync width 003
Vertical back porch 030
pixel clock = 76.15 MHz
Neither did this one work. This makes me ask two questions:
1) Is it possible that my DVI output is not actually outputting anything, because it doesn´t recognise the TV as being connected? In the service manual they say:
Although the PC signal data are displayed for the PDP-504P series panels, for the PDP-505P series panels this is not possible,
because the EDID-ROM has not been provided
My card is nvidia 8400gs. Is there any way to force it to output to the DVI?

2) Does anyone know any kind of info about the timing of the DVI signal?

Thanks for any input
did u solve that yet ?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Huawei begins P50 Pocket and P50 Pro smartphone global rollout
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published