1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI on LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dbeamish, Apr 21, 2005.

1. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A-hoy there..

Quick question - I'm thinking about a Acer 32" LCD TV - AT3201W-A and I note that it has a DVI input.

If I am using the DVI input, how do I get sound to come out of the speakers?

Also.. I'm thinking I'd prefer just one DVI lead and whatever audio doing to the screen. Anyone got a scaler or whatever sort of box that they could recommend for use with an LCD screen? I'd want an RGB SCART, Svideo, component and I dunno something like HDMI ?

Cheers guys
    Dave

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You supply audio to the TV by also connecting a Stereo Phono lead between the DVD player (or whatever) and the TV's Audio In phonos.

Jimmy

3. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so that would be input independant then? cool.

ta matey

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Depends what you mean by that.

On my Sonix, and I am sure other sets are the same because most CRTs also operate this way as well, the audio and video inputs are linked.
    I.e. if you select AV1 SCART it looks for both the audio and video on the SCART. You cannot say I would like Audio from AV1, and video from AV2 for example as there is typically no way to independently select them.

As DVI, Component, S-Video and Composite have no accompanying audio, the set will assume it comes from a separate audio input - but note you normally only have 1 audio input, so if you want to connect a PC via DVI, and a DVD via Component, you would need to swap the audio leads for each source if you wanted to play the audio thru the LCD as there is only one audio input.