DVI Lead.....doe sthis matter?

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Sorry if this is the wrong place, I looked at the cables section, but as it was under Home Cinema I was unsure as to whether it should go there. MODS - please move if necessary. Thanks.

I have an LCD pc monitor with both DVI and VGA input.

Recently I noticed that one part of the cross bit of the DVI lead had come off in the GFX card. I could still pull it out and put it back in the lead, or leave it there for when I put the lead back..

However, I had to RMA the card and accidently left the part of the connector there. SO now my lead has the pins but only half of the cross. Can I still use it? If so will I be losingf part of the sigmal?

N

nburg01

I'm not sure what you mean by "cross", does your DVI connection have 2 sets of 9 pins, then an extra set of pins next to this? Is it this third set of pins that have been damaged?

If so, it sounds like you have a DVI-I lead which transmits digital and analogue signals, and you've probably broken the pins for analogue. So the DVI cable should still work providing your devices are digital to digital.

Personally I'd just buy a new DVI cable as they're not expensive.

Gadgetcity

Established Member
Recently I noticed that one part of the cross bit of the DVI lead had come off in the GFX card. I could still pull it out and put it back in the lead, or leave it there for when I put the lead back..

However, I had to RMA the card and accidently left the part of the connector there. SO now my lead has the pins but only half of the cross. Can I still use it? If so will I be losingf part of the sigmal?

If you are referring to the solid cross, then you only need the horizontal part. As the other boys said, it is only needed when passing an analogue signal anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom