1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-I vs component cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Master Rahl, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For HDTV, which is better? I'm going to guess the component. What is the maximum resolution that a DVI-I cable can carry reliably? I've been googling around, but I get so many websites that want to sell me cables it isn't even funny.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Master Rahl

Does your source have a better Digital or Analogue output - Does your Display have a better Digital or Analogue Input, How far are you looking to send the signal etc

I'd say 'suck it and see' find someone that can offer you both options and arrange to test them side by side and then keep the cable your happiest with.

As per a fair few other posts of late keep in mind your asking a mixed up question:

DVI-I - is a connector type and a pipeline (cable) that can carry Digital and Analogue Component RGB signals in certain formats.

Component - is any video signal where the signal is carried on multiple wires (S-Video , RGB, RGsB, RGBHV, YUV).

Component Video - in the Home Theatre market tends to refer to Analogue YUV over a three core cable.

If you are comparing YUV Component to Analogue RGB over DVI-I I have to says its rare to actually find a suitable DVI-I cable to test with.

What Source and Display are your looking to connect?

Best regards

Joe

3. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you planned on confusing me, you did a terrific job... Heh. My target is a HD television (42" Samsung). It has both inputs: DVI and component. My source, well, this is more complicated.

First, a computer with a Radeon 9800. The Radeon has DVI out, but I can use the ATI component converter. I want to run at 1920x1080.

My second source is a satellite receiver. It has both DVI out and component out.

Any thoughts in this manner would be appreciated.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Master Rahl

WV - West Virginian?

Good that your still confused - keeps me and some of the other boys (and girls) in a day job :)

So you have a mix of Analogue only and Analogue/Digital sources and a TV with the ability to display both Analogue and Digital signals.

Having spent all that cash on the hardware I'd still stick to my first idea - a very decent quality BetterCables Display Magic DVI-D cable will cost you 90 USD and a BetterCables Silver Serpent Component (RCA or BNC) cable will cost you 110 USD - get both and work your way through each source running tests and comparing results; you may end up with a mix of results (some sources may be better on Analogue over Digital and vice versa) and keep in mind if you go all Digital you may require an external DVI switch.

Best regards

Joe

PS An interest in Firearms - now that gets us UK Retailers a touch jumpy; irate customers are one thing an irate customer with a Firearm would have us retiring :) [Though I see you know how to plug the holes once you shoot them!!!]

PPS BetterCables are in Ashburn, VA - see http://www.bettercables.com

5. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Gog

Gog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Master Rahl

If your source can output 1080i then the BetterCables Display Magic DVI-D cable will carry it up to 9m - though I'm not promising anything when you've got all those guns!!!

That's way too scary for us 'gentle' folk here in the UK.

Best regards

Joe

PS BetterCables operate a money back policy!

8. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know why you folks are so scared of guns..

Anyways, thank you. I think I'll go with the DVI cable (5m). I can't justify spending $300 for the component cables anyways. Heh. I was just worried that a DVI cable won't carry 1080i.

Regards,

MR