DVI-I to HDMI conversion.. 1:1 pixel mapping, and more..

clual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Still a bit of a noob in this area, so forgive me if this has been asked a million times before (done search, but to no avail).

I have a new Sony, KDL-40W2000 LCD TV which supports 1080p via HDMI (no DVI connector).

I wish to build a media center which I want to be fairly high spec for games too. I have been looking at various video cards, and some new ones have HDMI outputs, which is great, but the ones I really want only have DVI-I - is it possible to convert DVI-I to HDMI by means of a cable, and if so I have two further questions...

Is the quality going to suffer during the conversion?
Will it deffinatly work @ full 1080 - i.e. 1:1 pixel mapping?

Many thanks guys!

Yes it will work fine.

I got a dvi to hdmi cable at maplins, and it works a treat, what i really liked though, as i use it as my main pc monitor as well as my tv, that the nvidia software lets you scale it down or up to fit, as it is a bit of a strain in the eyes for browsing internet at 1920x1080 at 6 feet.

I use that for playing games, but use some weird resolution like 1312x741 for browsing the internet.

Yep, just to add there's is no signal conversion as hdmi and dvi carry the same type of signals. So there won't be any loss in quality.:)

DVI to hdmi cable. The dvi end on these cables will always be dvi-d, though make sure it's dual link.

DVI to hdmi cable. The dvi end on these cables will always be dvi-d, though make sure it's dual link.

Cheers, many thanks for the info - whats the difference between single and dual link? I ask because a neighbour has given me a single link cable that he had kicking around.

Cheers, many thanks for the info - whats the difference between single and dual link? I ask because a neighbour has given me a single link cable that he had kicking around.
Dual link has a 2nd set of data pins so can transfer twice as much. It's needed for very high resolution screens.

Single link is fine for a 1080p TV according to wiki

Dual link has a 2nd set of data pins so can transfer twice as much. It's needed for very high resolution screens.

Single link is fine for a 1080p TV according to wiki

Thats a great link - thanks for the info and help.

Cheers!:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom