DVI-I to HDMI conversion.. 1:1 pixel mapping, and more..

clual

Novice Member
Hi!

Still a bit of a noob in this area, so forgive me if this has been asked a million times before (done search, but to no avail).

I have a new Sony, KDL-40W2000 LCD TV which supports 1080p via HDMI (no DVI connector).

I wish to build a media center which I want to be fairly high spec for games too. I have been looking at various video cards, and some new ones have HDMI outputs, which is great, but the ones I really want only have DVI-I - is it possible to convert DVI-I to HDMI by means of a cable, and if so I have two further questions...

Is the quality going to suffer during the conversion?
Will it deffinatly work @ full 1080 - i.e. 1:1 pixel mapping?

Many thanks guys!

derthballs

Novice Member
Yes it will work fine.

I got a dvi to hdmi cable at maplins, and it works a treat, what i really liked though, as i use it as my main pc monitor as well as my tv, that the nvidia software lets you scale it down or up to fit, as it is a bit of a strain in the eyes for browsing internet at 1920x1080 at 6 feet.

I use that for playing games, but use some weird resolution like 1312x741 for browsing the internet.

motile rod 2

Novice Member
Yep, just to add there's is no signal conversion as hdmi and dvi carry the same type of signals. So there won't be any loss in quality.:)

motile rod 2

Novice Member
DVI to hdmi cable. The dvi end on these cables will always be dvi-d, though make sure it's dual link.

clual

Novice Member
DVI to hdmi cable. The dvi end on these cables will always be dvi-d, though make sure it's dual link.
Cheers, many thanks for the info - whats the difference between single and dual link? I ask because a neighbour has given me a single link cable that he had kicking around.

PeteD64

Novice Member
Cheers, many thanks for the info - whats the difference between single and dual link? I ask because a neighbour has given me a single link cable that he had kicking around.
Dual link has a 2nd set of data pins so can transfer twice as much. It's needed for very high resolution screens.

Single link is fine for a 1080p TV according to wiki

clual

Novice Member
Dual link has a 2nd set of data pins so can transfer twice as much. It's needed for very high resolution screens.

Single link is fine for a 1080p TV according to wiki
Thats a great link - thanks for the info and help.

Cheers!:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom