DVI-I to HDMI adaptor?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Gregory, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

Anyone know if there is a source of a DVI-I female to HDMI male adapter? Note the DVI-I, not DVI-D. I know it won't take the analogue signal - that is not the issue. I have a DVI-D cable in the wall (future proofing from 3 years back). It has the four analogue pins that come with the '-I'. All the adapters I have seen have no holes for these pins to go in, so can't be used (e.g. see www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/DVI-HDMI-Adapter.html). Anyone know if there is one that does mate properly (pref. supplier and part number)?

Alternatively, anyone know how how hard it is to wire an HDMI socket? I have 20mm unused trunking to the same point (also future proofing) ... but can't get an HDMI plug down it (so, not future proofed enough!).

Second alternatively, anyone know if I can simply snip those 4 analogue pins off?

Cheers

Greg

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's what happens when you give up and post - something shows up! ... here. Not sure I know what 'rotating' means here, and they don't have a non-rotating one. But, at $11 ($23 inc. postage) I'm not complaining about simply trying it!

Greg

3. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I did try and order the connector above with no joy. But, I have, finally, solved this. Got DVI-I to HDMI adaptors via e-bay and they work a treat. I got ones from esurfstore. This was female to female, so I needed a couple of short HDMI cables as well, bringing the entire length to almost 9 metres, across three cables and two adaptors ... but it worked absolutely fine. I also bought a DVI-I female to HDMI male adaptor, but it was too large to fit into the playstation next to an optical audio feed cable. IN both cases an e-bay search foir DVI-I and HDMI seems to do the trick.

The slightly sad thing is that I can't really see much difference between the digital TV feed and the component one I had before (this is a greater than 50 inch DLP screen, so I thought I might). But, it was worth trying.