Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

dvi-i to dvi-i connection

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jamiev, Oct 26, 2004.

1. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    hi, i want to connect my sanyo z2 to my pc.
    how do i do it?

i have an ati radeon 9600 pro 128mb with dvi-i.

i know i need a dvi-i to dvi-i cable but how do i set my graphics card to find the output or will it happen automatically?

do i need to adjust the settings on my pc via the monitor before i connect up to the pj?

:lease:

ps what is the diff between dvi-i and dvi-d cables?if any?

:clap:

2. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI-D Digital Only
    DVI-I Digital and Analog

So in my case I've got a Radeon 9600 with DVI-I that has a DVD-D cable plugged into it and then the other end of the DVI-D cable is plugged into the DVI-D input in the LCD screen.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To answer the 'how will it find it' part of the question.

If you only plug in one monitor Windows will use that no matter which connector it's plugged in to. If you connect two or more than you select which displays are to be active and possibly what resolutions they use, which is the 'primary' display for the desktop etc.

It can get a bit complicated, but if there's only the projector connected then you'll not have to worry.

To achieve the highest picture quality you'll want to set your desktop to the same resolution as the Z2. nVidia cards natively support 1280x720, ATIs don't so you'll want to get hold of Powerstrip, it's pretty easy to use but if you get lost there are plenty of users round here. :)

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I have my PC connected to my Z2 only (i.e no other monitor) via DVI-and have a Radeon 9600, with the ATI drivers loaded it definitely recognises the 1280x720 resolution of the Z2.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Recognition of display devices' capabilities can be a bit hit and miss, when I had a Z2 my 9600 didn't recognise it but others with nVidias reported theirs did, so I assumed that the same was still true .. maybe more recent Catalyst drivers have improved this, in which case one case save a few quid, if the other features of Powerstrip like Application Profiles etc. are of no interest.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I have donwloaded this from a link i think you posted Kragorn so was going to give it a try, but with being happy with my current set up i did not want to disrupt anything, what with pcs being quite tempremental. Now i have had to do a full restore and have separated my data files i think i might give powerstrip ago.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Certainly if all you need to do is get a custom resolution and that can be done from the standard driver/control panel then Powerstrip is a waste of time and money .. I got it when I had my first projector that I couldn't get 1:1 mapping any other way, and I found some of the other features useful so I carry on using it even though now I may well not have to.

As for playing, I understand your hesitation after your recent experience :) .. System Restore is okay and usually reliable, but I prefer to use Norton Ghost when experimenting, highly recommended.