1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-I plug with DVI-D socket and 15 pin XGA socket ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Warpaint, May 2, 2005.

1. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I am in the process of upgrading a customers projector to a Higher definition model with DVI or HDMI inputs. The shortlist is Sharp XVZ2000 and Optoma H78.
    Both of these only have one input you can connect to a PC or laptop and this input is a DVI-I connector. The problem is that I also need to connect his DVD player with HDMI to this socket. The current projector used has both DVI and 15pin VGA type sockets (as well as composite,S-video and component), so both laptop and DVD can be connected simultaneously and switched between.

Ideally what I need for the new projector (probably Sharp XVZ2000 because of throw ratio) is a DVI-I plug with y splitter :eek:ne side to DVI-D or HDMI socket and the other side to 15pin XGA type socket.

I have found one here http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIIY-1
    but I'm still not sure if it would even work with HDCP.

Has anyone else tried this?

I have contingency plans but these both involve poorer quality from either the laptop or the DVD player.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello Warpaint

Easier to install a DVI (with HDCP) or HDMI switcher upstream of the Projector and switch DVI-D from the Laptop (if it has it) + HDMI from Digital Video sources.

I'd install a Switcher that can also accommodate SKY HD and an HDMI equipped DVD Recorder as were finding many customers heading in that direction.

As far as the ThemeScene H78 goes it already has 5 x BNC inputs for RGBHV from your Analogue PC + DVI (with HDCP) for your HDMI sources - all you need is two cables to the Projector.

The Sharp will require a Break 'In' cable as its only equipped with a DVI-I combination connector - I've not used the cable you link to though a few folk have and said it worked well.

Best regards

Joe

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Thanks Joe

I have worked out that the Themescene isn't suitable because of the throw ratio.

I think I might have to buy the 'break in' cable and test it out myself.