1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi help

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bigmark, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bigmark

bigmark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just recieved my sharp 32 ga4 and i am using a denon 1910 with dvi connection, picture quality is brilliant, however there are thick black lines at the top and bottom of the screen. is this something i will have to put up with or is there a way of getting rid of them, any advice would be appreciated to help a novice out

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What do you mean by thick black lines ? Letterbox format?

If so, you have a 16:9 widescreen TV. Widescreen DVD's are often 2.35:1 which is even widerscreen than 16:9. So to avoid croping the sides of the picture, you see the full width but it is 'letterboxed'.

If the DVD is not 2.35:1, then there will be a setting on the DVD player to let it know you are using a 16:9 wide screen rather than 4:3.

-Ian

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try setting the WSS to 'Cinema 16:9' In the manual it looks like it will zoom the picture. Note though, if you do this the sides of the picture will be cropped.

Richie.

4. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you manage to sort this issue out? I have just acquired a Sharp 26GA3 with a DVI-I input and am wondering if I can use DVD players like the Denon 1910 (which I read offers DVI-D). Are DVI-D and DVI-I compatible? From reading, it seems as if the D version offers sound and pictures whereas the I version just pictures - not a problem if you have a surround sound system presumably?

Any comments as to whether I will notice the difference on a 26 inch Sharp between component input using progressive scan and DVI input - I'm desperate to get on and buy a new DVD player with surround sound but I'm in a real quandry over the DVI issue!

Cheers in advance.

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Already posted in the other thread on this but.....

DVI has 3 guises:

DVI-D - Digital signal
    DVI-A - Analogue signal
    DVI-I -Integrated (Digital or Analogue)

DVI only sends video, not audio. HDMI is the digital cable that send audio as well as video.

The Denon 1910 player only accepts a DVI-D cable and not DVI-I because there is a physical difference between DVI-D and DVI-I (DVI-I has 4 extra pins).

The Denon upscales to 720p and 1080i over DVI but not component so this will be one advantage. But, the Samsung HD745 (DVI) and HD945 (HDMI) are other players that also upscale. There is a region hack for these players that when applied also lets you upscale over component.

Finally, since DVI is digital, the signal from the DVD player to the tv is digital all the way and doesn't get converted to analogue and back to digital which can only mean PQ degradation. So there should be difference in PQ but apparently it is only slight.

HTH,

Richie.