Dvi -> Hdmi

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Quddy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Quddy

Quddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a projector with a HDMI socket and I want to connect my PC to it through the graphics card's DVI port.

I've had a browse through the internet and all I can find are HDMI to DVI cables. Do these work both ways or do I have to find a cable which actually says DVI to HDMI?

Any recommendations for brands and suppliers?

Thanks.

2. ectoplasm

ectoplasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you already have a suitable length DVI cable, simply buy a £5 DVI to HDMI adapter on Ebay (make sure it has the correct male-female ends).

If you need longer distances, I've found the cheapest and most reliable way of achieving this is using Lindy's Super Long Distance DVI-DVI cable along with an adapter, www.lindy.co.uk

I'm currently using a 15 metre version at 720p without any problems.

Hope that helps :)

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Hello Quddy

Yes HDMI>DVI cables are Bi-directional.

Keep in mind your HDMI Input is a Video Input - you'll need to ensure your PC can Output a signal that's compatible with the HDMI Input; see the Projectors User Manual for a Chart of compatible Input signals.

You may need to use PowerStrip or a similar utility to create a 'custom' Output from the PC.

Best regards

Joe

4. Quddy

Quddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, very useful.

Didn't occur to me to use DVI->DVI cable with an adaptor, cheers.

I'm still learning about HDMI. Does anyone know if the hdmi socket on the projector is a male or female? The manual only states that it is 19-pin type A?
    I've searched the web for info and I think it is male so I need a female hdmi cable/adaptor?

As for the PC's output, i'm hoping it will be quite simple as the NVidia control panel has a setting just for HD formats through DVI. The graphics card has a VGA and DVI port on the back. I was thinking about plugging in the projector with the vga port but the NVidia HD settings don't work for that so the PowerStrip utility would be useful for that. I currently have the monitor plugged into the DVI port so it looks like I can't have the PJ and monitor output at the same time which isn't a big problem.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Hello Quddy

You'll require a DVI(F) to HDMI(M) adapter if you plan to use a DVI>DVI cable with your Projector.

Best regards

Joe

6. Quddy

Quddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe.