1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvi / Hdmi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TEC, Mar 8, 2004.

1. TEC

TEC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a new member I probably have posted the following in the wrong thread or subject, but here goes anyway. Have purchased Pioneer Elite PRO910 Plasma and LG-3200A Sat Reciever. Pioneer has a proprietary HDMI input for their system receiver while LG has a DMI output. Have purchased cable from Geffen Industries but have failed to have proper hook up.

The LG receiver has a rear switch to identify the DMI output while the Pioneer has within it's setup the HDMI conversion. Having installed the cable into the input 1 of the Pioneer, I do not have signal (video/audio). The instructions are quite limited for both units. I am curious if any of the members have experienced same and what solutions if any are available.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi sorry havent got a answer for you , but you sound like you are from across the pound.

maybe you would get better answers here www.avsforum.com

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a guess .. I've not heard of a 'DMI' connector, could you be meaning 'DVI'? If so, then a DVI output should connect fine to an HDMI input in theory, in practice though sadly you can't be sure until you've been able to check specific components.

4. TEC

TEC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I did mean DVI and not DMI....thanks for your reply...I will continue my search for info.....

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just to expand on what I said. :)

The spec for HDMI is that it's backward compatible with DVI as far as the signal connections are concerned. The main issue with HDMI is HDCP, the copy-protection cr@p. Now, in the case of a DVI-equipped source the first consideration is does it support HDCP or not? If it doesn't then the receiver, ie. the display device or amp, shouldn't bother about it and accept the digital input .. however, it's possible some HDMI receivers still expect to negotiate HDCP and will fail if it can't.

If the source is HDCP-compliant then there should be no problem, the HDMI receiver should negotiate HDCP and everything should work.

The trouble is, it's already been found than some HDMI-equipped players don't work with some DVI/HDCP-equipped displays, even though the specs say they should.

IOW, it's down to how individual manufacturers implement the 'standard' .. sadly right now it's a bit of a mess and a buyer can't rely on the 'standard' alone. :(

6. TEC

TEC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation.....I hope that I am not the unfortunate consumer who made reliance on manufactures specifications.....