1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI / HDMI / SCART / Component Out = Best Picture?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Sep 30, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would give the best picture result?

Connecting items via DVI, HDMI, Scart or Component?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    In theory (from best to worst):

HDMI/DVI
    Component
    RGBcvS*
    S-Video*
    Composite*

* = all carried within a scart, subject to the equipment used.

Above I said 'in theory' because not all equipment will be at its best with the so called best connection. It is possible that a DVD player will have better PQ with component than HDMI/DVI for example. I have also seen others stating that their TV looks better fed an S-Video signal rather than RGBcvS.

Mark.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Mark is spot on, all to do with kit quality to be honest, for example Ive seen a few HDMI/DVI DVD players into Plasma/LCDs, and to my mind the picture I see at home via a 36” CRT TV (superior visually to any plasma/LCD) & Component DVD player is better by quite a margin. S-Video via the DVD player I use is beyond RGB compared to an my DVD player (Pioneer 717 – still a great picture to its credit) which was superior to S-Video from the same player - mind you that was on my old TV.

So really quite dependant on kit used TBH.

4. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In my (limited) experience I would fully agree with that list. RGB Scart has always been better for me over s-video on my equipment. HDMI on my Denon 1920 is awesome, but then I have never used component so I don't know if it really is any better, but I would be surprised.

5. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tested last week... the HDMI/DVI improvement over the component is quite significant on the same resolution output. Component seems to give a 'hazy' outline and the darks regions are not as clear as the DVI output picture. It has been a long way since S-Video days :)

6. Trevk

Trevk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning to change my connection set up. My kit is nothing special: Thomson Scenium 27" lcd and LG 3500E DVD.

Connections:
    DVD > scart > scart selector > lcd
    Sky box >scart > scart selector > lcd

The LCD has dv-i inputs, s-video and component inputs, so I want to find which works best between the two. Just need to find some cost effective leads.

Trev

7. Freddo14

Freddo14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u can daisy chain the dvd player through the sky boxes second scart with pretty much not noticable hit in picture quality, it'd save you some bother with the switcher and all.

8. Trevk

Trevk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thats something to try. thanks

Update: Checked the connectivity of the sky box today. There are two, 1 for the TV and the other going to the video. Will investigate other connections from like the YCrCb Component and Audio at the screen. Spoke with Thomson today and they suggested that this connection would be best option when running from scart. Just need to find if there is a scart-to-YCrCb Component and Audio lead. Other than that it will have to be a long scart or try s-video.

Trev