1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI, HDMI really important???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kaarlito, May 1, 2005.

1. kaarlito

kaarlito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I saw some Sharp model (G5) and new Panasonic (32" X50) that look pretty amazing and the price correct for that. I just wonder how is really important DVI or HMI. I asked some vendors around and seem that this kind of connection are not needed that it seem reaaly. That make me confused about that.

I don't need to connect a computer (mac for example) and I am nor plannig to get any High definition soon.(panasonic models in Finland don't have HDMI connexion)

I just wonder about the TV digital signal. Does they are "good" with those Sharp models or Panasonic? I know it is quite difficult to evaluate it. I don't expect any good than a CRT TV, but clear enough to see details ;-P

If some people got this models and used like to see TV channels, that could help me in my choice

Thanks fo any good or bad advices (I am open with other models too)

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDMI and DVI+HDCP would be required for the next generation hi def DVD formats such as blu-ray / HD-DVD or whatever is eventually launched. Don't expect these next year but would be worth consideration if you intend to keep your set more than 3 or 4 years.

-Ian

3. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only thought is that if a panel does not have either of these connections, how old is it ?
    It seems that all models being produced now have at least one of these connections as people want to future proof there purchase as much as possible, and I can well understand a vendor wanting to get rid of old stock. :rolleyes:

If you see a set that you like that does not have these connections and you are sure you do not need them just make sure that you get it at a good price. :)

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not old just entry level model in the case of the Sharp, the GA3 and GA4 have HDCP on the DVI.

5. kaarlito

kaarlito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem it is the new Panasonic models (26 and 32) don't have HDMI connection (seem quite strange to compare with same UK version models). In the same time I just thought, since years, most of people have bought Tv without any HDMI or DVI connection, so It seem for me "logical" that next generation of DVD player HD will get component, or scart too. How it would be possible to get the market if the majority of the people didn't have those connection :p

it not may concern UK, but Finland as only few models with HDMI or DVI (such Sharp, Samsung and some philips models) and Digital TV will be the only choice in 2006.

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    In the UK digital TV is standard definition and a set top box uses Scart to fed the picture to a screen, it is only future high definition ( broadcast or DVD ) that will require HDMI or DVI-HDVP. There will a SD service for years to come and so there is plenty of time for people to upgrade their equipment.
    In the transition period I am sure that there will still be component and scart options, but will be limited in functonality, i.e. possibly take a HD source and output in a SD analogue form over these connections.