1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-HDMI question??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by haven't-a-clue, Oct 26, 2004.

1. haven't-a-clue

haven't-a-clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everybody, just a quick question.

i would like to know up to what distance can i run DVI-HDMI cables before i suffer a signal loss??

thanks for all your help!

2. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if there is an official limit.

If you are going to 5m or more, a higher quality cable would make a huge difference. This would probably be extremely expensive though.

Cheers,
    Mat.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I beleive that HDMI recievers are more efficient and that you can go futher to an HDMI display than a DVI display.

The higher the resolution and refresh rate the signal you are sending the shorter the length you can go as well.

For DVI there appear to be two gauges of copper cable. The thicker is the one you want to use if you are going any distance. More than 4m to a DVI receiver and you may want to check it all works before you bury cables in the wall would be my advice. In fact I'd suggest you always check cables work before you bury them in walls.....

I think the spec for HDMI cable mnimum quality is better than that for DVI so you may find less issues in an all HDMI set up. Although again I suggest you try things first.

Gordon

Gordon

4. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gordon,

In a DVI (Lumagen or iScan) to HDMI (Sim2 PJ) connection do you think it would be possible to use a 12 meters cable?

NS

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I am not sure about that. I think you'd want to try that before installation. I know of a chap using a gefen optical DVI cable from a Lumagen to the DVI input of a Sharp 12000 over a length of around that distance so with the correct cable it must be do-able but with a standard HDMI to HDMI with adaptor or DVI to HDMI I cannot give a definative answer

Gordon

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    haven't-a-clue

As Gordon and others have said there are no hard and fast rules in this market - the source, the cable and the display all play a part in the signal path.

HDMI to HDMI should be good for 20m whereas DVI to HDMI can be problematic at 5m with some kit.

As long as you have the cash (lots of it) you can connect a DVI signal to an HDMI display using a variety of copper and active optical technologies up to 300m.

Using copper you can potentially go to 20m with some cables and if you run our of steam there are always active signal re generators you can put into your system.

As Gordon suggests you can also use optical cables - these can be passive or active. The Gefen HDTV DVI Extreme cables Gordon has worked with are 20m DVI-D to DVI-D.

The HDTV Extreme cables have over sized DVI hoods that contain active circuitry to convert the electrical signal into light pulses at the source end of the cable and active circuitry at the receive end of the cables to turn the light pulses back to an electrical signal.

They are HDCP compliant and come in 10, 20, 32, 50 and 100m fixed lengths and are guaranteed to carry signals up to and including 1080i.

Any questions please shout.

Joe

7. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lots of them ;-)

My Projector has a HDMI input. Are there any scalers with HDMI output? It would be great to use a HDMI-HDMI connection.

Unfortunately there's not lots of cash around here (not anymore)...

Signal regenerators are indeed an option although I'd prefer not to use them. The clearer the path, the best.
    Optical cables seem very interesting but there's a slight problem that also aplies to copper: the cable must go through a 15mm tube, where I think a HDMI connector doesn't fit. How can I overcome this? Can the cable be DIY terminated? Any other suggestions?

I don't have a scaler around here to test the DVI-HDMI or HDMI-HDMI viability, but I can get a DVD player with either one of these ouputs. Do you think that having success with a 12 meter cable connecting a DVD player to my PJ guarantees success with a scaler in place of the DVD player?

NS

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Nuno

A quick reply for now - Gefen have two types of Optical cable; the HDTV Extreme Integrated as previously discussed and the HDR range.

The HDR users a Sender Unit (DVI.1000HDS) and Receiver (DVI.1000HDR) which you connect using 1 x Cat5 plus 2 x Fibre Optic cables; these cables are individually very small and can be fished through a 15mm conduit.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/cables/dvi.jsp (bottom right hand of the page)

The Fire cables can be up to 500m.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/cables/dvi1000hd.jsp

Best regards

Joe