1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI/HDMI question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Badger, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm currently having an extension built to put an HC in and want to run a component cable and digital video cable up a channel cut in the wall and then under the ceiling plasterboard to come out at the projector mount nice and neat - I'd estimate the length of the cable run will be 5-6m

I've ordered a 6m Component cable so thats sorted, but the DVI/HDMI cable is causing me problems - It is to connect a PC (probably) to an HS20 (or an HS50 is appropriate) so my options seem to be

5m or 7.5m DVI

or

5m or 7.5m DMI with DVI to HDMI convertors at either end

The max DVI length appears to be 3m,5m or 7.5m depnding on what you read - so I then have the choice of cheap or expensive cables

I can't get the setup tested until it's too late (ie plastering done), I need to make a decision now

Any Advice ?

Phil

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Phil,

I would advise you have a chat with Joe at The Media Factory. He sells a good range of DVI and HDMI cables (and adapters) from BetterCables, Supra and Molex. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For DVI-D we have moved over to Lindy cables, they are superb and guaranteed to work up to 10m. Although not all our pictures show Lindy, in DVI-D we only ship Lindy cables now.

Andy.

4. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops got doubled posted, please delete. :oops:

5. anilo

anilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Be very carful about buying DVI cables.

My advice would be (for longer cable runs) - get a cable that is 'guaranteed' to carry the highest quality signal (e.g. 1080i) over the distance you want.

I can recommend Joe's (The Media Factory) cables, they can pass a 420p, 576p, 720p and 1080i signals over a 9m length (They do in my setup - Denon DVD A11 to Toshiba TDP-MT5 DLP projector, other cables didn't)

Don't put any old DVI cable behind a wall/ceiling, only to find it isn't good enough to pass the signal you want.

Anil.

6. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the comments so far

I'm sure pretty much an cable will work at the lengths i'm looking at, its just I want to avoid the "sparklies" i've seen mentioned on longer runs - and as Anillo rightly says I need to be sure before hand :)

Can anyone answer the DVI/HDMI conversion question as HDMI cables & plugs seem thinner which would be a help (but not essential) and would allow me to swap over the HDMI if my kit changes

My 6m Component cable has arrived so I can now see if a 5m cable will be long enough

Phil

7. r4nd0m

r4nd0m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, :thumbsup:

Just a bit of info on the DVi/HDMI stuff.

HDMI is the DVi protocal with the Content Protection technology HDCP embedded into the signal.

Hope this is helpful

:smashin:

r4nd0m

8. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to admit i could do with some sort of sticky that explains the ins and outs of dvi and hdmi cables, lengths and best practices. Does anyone know if you can terminate them your self if your handy with a soldering iron or is this a definate no no?

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Hello Badger

Not sure what the question is :)

Myself and others (see TV Cables posts) have about 101 options for you - from stock I can supply:

Molex:
    DVD-D to DVI-D - 2, 3, and 5m.
    DVI-D to HDMI - 2, 3 and 5m.
    HDMI to HDMI - 2, 3 and 5m.

BetterCables - (1920x1080 guaranteed)
    DVD-D to DVI-D - 2, 3, 5 and 9m.
    DVI-D to HDMI - 2, 5 and 10m.
    HDMI to HDMI - 2, 5 and 10m.
    DVI-D (f) to HDMI adapter - 0.25m.

Gefen DVI - (1280x1024 guaranteed)
    DVI copper up to 50'

Gefen DVI Extreme - (1600x1200 guaranteed)
    DVI over fibre up to 330'.

We also have Supra cables up to 12m and DVI to HDMI and HDMI to DVI adapters.

I'm pretty sure (positive in fact) that 'pretty much any cable' wont be guaranteed to work for you - we supply our cables to lots of folk who have tried others brands and suffered the sparkles.

What resolution are you planning on running your PC at and do you have a DVI equipped Graphics card and a DVI equipped PC monitor that you can at least test the intended cable with at this time.

Best regards

Joe

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    r4nd0m: Your post suggests that all HDMI signals are DVI with HDCP. This is not the case. You can get unencrypted signals from HDMI sources. HDCP is only applied or should only be applied where the source is copyprotected.

Gordon

11. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is getting a bit that way so i'll try to simplify it

1. Are HDMI and DVI cables (with adapters) interchangable ?
    eg If I put a DVI cable run put in, and then want to use it to connect an HDMI cable to HDMI player will convertors sort me out ?
    2. Are the acceptable lengths for DVI and HDMI different
    eg will an HDMI cable with adaptors will allow longer runs than DVI ?

I think i'll be going with a pricey cable as it'll be too late once it's in situ and should give me some headroom for future upgrades

I'll be using a Radeon 9000 DVI card to drive an HS20 in the first case, so 1366x768 (or something like that). I don't have a DVI display but might try to borrow one.

Phil

12. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Badger, DVI and HDMI are interchageable via adapters... The fact that HDMI will work at greater distances than DVI is down to the HDMI chips at either end and not the cables themselves so there is no benefit to using an HDMI cable with DVI adapters (except maybe a requiring a smaller hole)... Which ever cable you go for, just make sure you test it before you seal it into the wall as even the most expensive cable can be faulty!!! I've just had the same problem with a well known suppliers fancy gold plated VGA lead, which has a faulty connector at one end...

Thinking about it, I don't recall seeing any HDMI (F) to DVI (M) adapters but I'm sure someone does one... Probably best to go for a DVI to HDMI cable...

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Hello Badger

As Simon says when your only using these cables for Digital Video they are pretty much interchangeable and its the Transmitter and Receiver technology on the end of the cable that makes the difference re viable cable lengths.

If your sure its going to be an HDMI display then you could go either way (HDMI or DVI with adapter) - if it may end up being a DVI equipped Display I'd be tempted to go for a high quality DVI cable and use a DVI to HDMI adapter if required; so far we've seen DVI displays being far fussier about the signal cable than HDMI equipped displays.

The Retail Price of a cable is no indicator of how well it performs :)

Best regards

Joe

14. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By Pricey I meant "guaranteed to work" (and therefore more expensive) rather than just buying the most expensive cable possible :)

Phil