1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI/HDMI - my deciding factor, but are some Mag reviews slipping up?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DFL, May 20, 2005.

1. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    DVI/HDMI Input
    Agreed it's the way to go. Wish list inlcudes it, high res screen, unfailing contrast and brightnes... but how do the novices find good info. I've started to use the www below. I think the price of plasmas make them attractive, but a recent group test between Phillips LCD 42PF9986 beat 4 top Plasmas Panasonic TH 42PW7, PIONEER PDP 435FDE, SAMSUNG PS42P4A, TOSHIBA 42PW6. (March 2005 Home Cinema Choice).

The website: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/index.php?category=Plasmas

This is incredible for any hi fi lover out there. It goes and scans all the wonderful reviews and pain stakingly organizes it so you can choose type of harware and manafacturer and when reviewed. IN my research to pit LCD vs Plasma I have come to my conclusions that I want to be HDTV ready. It actually cuts out a lot of the competition, which is good when you have to make expensive decisions, and there's so much choice these days. It seems I can use whether DVI/HDMI is included and whether the tv is HI DEF ready to help me make my choices. So I wonder if some experts here can help with 2 minor discrepancies I picked up.

I wonder if anyone has a copy of WHC Jan 2005/or read the online review from aforementioned www. There is a review of a Sony KDE P42MRX1. On the right side of the page is a clear picture with text under it saying: "DVI for the HDTV pictures -pure digital". Then later in the article and in other reviews of same product it says "There's no DVI or HDMI connection though.."

This isn't the only ?error I've come across a What Plasma & LCD TV review of the Panasonic Viera TX32LXD1, issue 9. It clearly says in the corner, DVI input, but the review slates it for not being high def compatible, and lack of DVI or HDMI inputs.

Am I losing it here? Are these typos? I'm getting so ultra obsessed with hi fi right now that these are the minutae of detail which will help me decide ultimately what I buy.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    Don't listen to the reviews, just ask on here: tell people what you require and what your budget is and what you are connecting.

I take it you want a hi-def with HDMI, I would start looking at the Panny TH-42PV500. In the panasonic shops now.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The mags are losing it, not you. Read them certainly, just remember the guys who write for them are not proffessional AV people, they are jounalists. They might just as easily have got a job on the local free rag, same circulation figures. You just show an interest in AV, and who hasn't these days, and win the interview. Then they let you loose reviewing. Obviously there are some talented and knowlegeable writers, not many though.

4. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for the heads up. After reading a bit more, I noticed some TV's have DVI inputs but they are for a PC connection, like the Sony KDE P42MRX1, but they can't show HDTV material??? So now I sort of see that a TV needs both Hi Def connections and a HD ready screen, ie one with the correct resolution. It also seems that quite a lot of Plasmas are 1024 x 780 which means when Sky HDTV comes out it will have to be scaled up a little. Is that correct.

I have a Marantz SR4300 AV receiver, and am upgrading my DVD from a Marantz 4100 OSE to possibly the Denon 2910 or Pioneer 668, because both have DVI and HDMI output. I figure if I am going to buy a tv, I want it future proofed.

I like the looks of the Pioneer 435XDE, especially as it has a separate AV box. I'll go research the Panasonic 42PV500 right now. I do have one question though, do you think in the future we will be able to get DVI/HDMI splitting cables, like we have with SCARTS now, and do you think we will be able to upgrade just the multimedia boxes so that we could improve connections etc? Thanks for advice.
    Darren