1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-HDMI max. cable length ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Beano, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering connection my Denon 1910 DVD player to a Panasonic AE700 thru a DVI-HDMI cable to enable 720p which the DVD player supports via DVI.

However, some people claims that HDMI-DVI doesn't work good enough with 720p when using 10m cables. It sould be fine for 480p and 525p though.

Is this correct or have anybody gotten 720p to work over 10+ meter cablee ?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Beano

Its trial and error when you get to 10m and involve a DVI connector - especially one that's bolted to a Denon player :)

We supply our BetterCables DVI/HDMI Display Magic cables on sale or return for just this reason.

Best regards

Joe

3. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... I'll try to find a decent cable elsewhere... you price for a 10m HDMI-DVI cable it quite high IMO :|

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Beano

Not sure what your comparing our BetterCables pricing with - bearing in mind your getting the offer of Sale or Return on a cable that's guaranteed to 1080i; you don't really get 'decent' Digital cables - they either work or don't!

Other brands we supply are:
    Supra - SRP £154.99 for a 12m
    Gefen - SRP £164.50 for a 10m (though you'd also require an HDMI/DVI adapter at a further £35.00).
    WireWorld - SRP £459 for a 12m Ultarviolet.
    WireWorld - SRP £749 for a 12m Starlight.

I don't supply Lindy as we get a fair few customers coming to us after they have had issues with long Lindy cables but you could look at a Lindy 10m DVI/HDMI for around £80.00.

I still say our BetterCables Display Magic cables offer you good value for money and will happily pass 720P :)

Best regards

Joe

5. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not questioning the quality of your products or the prices compared to other dealers...

I'm simply noting that there's a BIG different for me if a cable costs £80 or £200+... especially when I don't know how big a difference a HDMI-DVI cable and 720p will be in reality compared to my current component cable and 525p.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Beano

As you say jumping from £80 to +£200 is quite a thought - though possibly you've been looking at the US SRP of the BetterCables Display Magic cables ($229.95) which translates to around £165.00 :)

Best regards

Joe

PS There are cable suppliers that advertise on the AV Forums - have a look at the list at the top of the page; they may have alternatives to those I've listed so far.

7. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh... my bad :)

This makes the cables more attractive :)

Do you send from the US only or also the UK ?