1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI, HDMI, and various others

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mole69, May 28, 2005.

1. Mole69

Mole69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The shop where I work has received this week the new Panasonic 37" and 42" High Definition Viera Plasmas. Very nice.

There seems to be no button on the remote to select the HDMI input, and nothing in the instruction book either. Any ideas?

Also, we are feeding the plasma with a Quali-TV High Def Satellite Receiver, trying to show HD1 (Ex Euro 1080) in Hi Def. The Quali-TV box has a DVI output, but the Pana plasma only has HDMI in. We have a little DVI-HDMI adaptor plug we've used, but we get no pic on the plasma. What's going on?

As a last resort, we've connected the Sat box via Scart. In the Sat box install menu, it seems to have only 2 video output choices: RBG and Component. Does that mean it cannot output Composite, or will it output Composite from the Scart output AND RBG/Component from the relevant outputs at the same time?

We don't actually WANT a Composite output, but we're using the Component output to feed a projector at the same time. In theory then, we should be able to get an RGB signal down the scart to the Plasma. My boss seems to think the pic we're getting when Component is selected out of the Sat box reverts to Composite down the Scart (and feeds the projector with Component at the same time), but when RGB is selected, it gives us RGB.

Any ideas warmly welcomed.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As for selecting the HDMI input, I don't know. The probable reason why the DVI and HDMI inputs don't function together will probabloy be due to HDCP encryption. Its a copyright protection protocol and if one of the devices has it and the other dosn't then they won't work together :( As for outputting a dual hi-definition feed from one Sat box, I would be very suprised if its capable. I don't know of any (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) products that are capable of outputting two hi-def feeds. :)

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    HDCP is not an issue here. If the source is not outputting a HDCP signal, then the display does not require it to display the picture. I don't think that HD1 are transmitting with HDCP at the moment, and even if they do the HDMI on the Panny supports it anyway.

Shouldn't be a problem outputting HD on the component and DVI at the same time, as the latter does not require the the use of the box's video DAC. RGB and component at the same time is usually more tricky, as need a separate DAC for each. Hence most DVD players require the user to choose one or the other.

Sorry to ask a potentially silly question - but you have have tried repeatedly pressing the AV input button on the Panny remote? (or pressing it, then picking the option from the menu) That's how I would have expected it to work on a Panny.

Respect by the way taking the trouble to show a HD feed. Have seen two large retailers displaying the set so far with no such effort made.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If the tuner is set to DVi and you are conecting it to a HDMI input (even with adapter) it may not recognise it.

I had a similar problem with my Denon 3910 DVD player. I was using its DVi output with a DVi cable to my Plasma which is also DVi. But I was geting no pic.

The reason was that I had the player set to HDMI. Once i set it to DVI i got the pic working.

Check to see if the tuner has an option for either HDMI or DVI. Also make sure the plasma is set to the same thing as the tuner.

5. hansje

hansje
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you check for software update of the quali-tuner?
    the first sets did not support DVI, only with new software.