1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI for DVD and plasmas?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chippy99, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Anyone know of anyone that will do DVI mods to plasma's and DVD players? Like who mods the Delphi plasmas? Is it Delphi?

Thought it might be worth considering.

Chippy99

2. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Oops! Sorry I meant SDI (serial digital interface) not DVI (digital video interface).

I'm sure you all knew what I meant anyway :)

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think you do actually mean DVI, not SDI. DVI is the Digital Video Interface standard taht is used with PC's. It is a more or less standard connection on PDP's (Plasma Display Panel), and can be found on a few DVD's (meridan I think have it as an optional upgrade).

I think it costs around £1k to mod a dvd player, or digibox etc.

SDI uses a single BNC interface and is found more on consumer video equipment (DVI is a computer oriantated interface). Seems to be quaite rare also at the moment, upgrade card are available for Proceed and Meridans DVD transports, and you can use it with the S&W Gold, dunno about any PDP's that use it yet. Though some expensive DLP projectors use it.

I think Gordon has some info on the DVI moding.

Rick

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    There's a thread over at AVS about the SDI DIY mod possibility. They have some sad/smart blokes hanging around there.

The Vigatec scaler we sell has the option of an SDI interface input upgrade. Vigatec themselves mod a Pioneer737 for this output and charge a healthy amount for doing it.

We have located a digital engineer who may be able to modify other units to have this output. It's going to be a while/weeks before we have a resolution on it. Our intention is to mod an excellent player rather than an OK one.

At the Event we should be able to show everyone an SDI out-in scaler. HTPC already does this trick internally I guess.

Gordon

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    For clarification SDI means serial digital interface and ports out an interlaced digital video signal (at around 280 MHz IIRC)in serial form down a co-axial cable. It was designed for TV studios and the like. You can buy powerful modern chips that hook into the digital video output bus on a DVD player or set top box to create this output. In this way the signal can arrive at your digital display or scaler/deinterlacer without loss from the video D/A and A/D conversions otherwise necessary.

The Delphi plasma is heavily modified using licenced BBC technology to help display a better image using this digital input signal as source.

DVI is not found in general use because it is quite expensive to do and, more to the point, spectacularly illegal, as there is no copy protection whatsoever. So no bona fide DVD or set top box maker can fit it without getting sued.

DVI or Digital Video Interface is a parallel system for transmitting digital video, usually between a computer monitor and display. In the upcoming DVI HDCP (High Definition Copy Protected) format it can transmit progressive video up to something beyond XGA resolution to suitably authorised receivers or displays, and this provides a very real way forward in the medium term for a digital video output on upmarket progressive DVD players. Note DVI does not support ordinary interlaced video. An extension to DVI HDCP is being proposed to support full definition DVD-Audio as well as video, though this will need to get the approval of the DVD CCA (which takes quite a while) before it can be deployed in products.

I'll be happy to expand on these topics at the upcoming event in Scotland.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Whoops - I would like to add that the SDI output cards provided in the aftermarket for Meridian and Proceed players by Snell and Wilcox for use with their Interpolater products are AFAIK copy protected via encryption, and are thus legal. Not low cost though!

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to confirm John D's comments, the cards we produce for the Proceed PMDT and Meridian 800 do produce an encrypted SDI output - this is one of the ways we try to keep the lawyers off our back!

The other way, and the reason that Delphi, Vigatec, Cinematrix and so on can also do these types of mods, is that we are not DVD player manufacturers and therefore do not have to sign our lives away to the DVD licensing people and can modify exisiting products.

As John also mentioned SDI is a serial digital component video connection over a single co-ax (BNC) connection at 270 MBs and is loss-less (i.e. what goes in comes out) But it is also important to mention that SDI is only for interlace signals only - so the receiving end still has to do de-interlacing (and 2:2 / 3:2 detectyion)before it can scale the image - the quality of the detection and processing will often have a larger impact than the difference between Analogue component and Digital Component!

I'll also be at Gordon's event, so between us I'm sure we'll be able to tackle your questions!

Richard Ansell
    Snell & Wilcox