1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI/DVI or DVI/HDMI?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ed_J, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe (@TMF) gave me a suggestion of using a DVI-D to HDMI cable instead of a DVI-D to DVI-D one (my projector, HS20, has both inputs), but I just wondered if anyone has any opinion (what, here??) of the relative advantages/disadvantages of one versus the other. In general it appears the conversion cables are slightly more expensive, but are there any performance differences??

How do they compare over long distances?

In a conversion cable, how much is DVI and how much is HDMI (assuming there is a difference in their long distance abilities)??

Thanks for any advice,
    Ed.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    Hello Ed

The differences between Digital Video via DVI/DVI and DVI/HDMI are minimal in the extreme - if you had a very high quality test pattern generator you may see something but unlikely you'll see anything by eye when playing back a DVD.

The cable suggested is a passive device - the Digital Video portion of a DVI signal is interchangeable with the Digital Video portion of an HDMI signal (there are some underlying differences in DVI and HDMI signals which your source and display hardware sort out without your intervention).

The key difference in using DVD/DVI as opposed to DVI/HDMI is in the range of compatible Input signals your projector has via DVI and HDMI; often a Display device will work with predominantly PC type signal formats via DVI (VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA etc) and Video formats (480P/i, 576P/i, 720p, 1080i etc) via HDMI.

The underlying electrical properties of a PC and Video signal via HDMI and DVI are pretty much identical what you have to look out for is the table of compatible signals in your projectors Owners Manual; that may determine if you aim to use its DVI or HDMI input.

If your source is HDCP encrypted (HDMI sources always are with commercial discs and DVI sources may or may not be) - you also have to ensure whichever socket you use on your projector is HDCP compliant (HDMI always is and DVI may or may not be).

I'm happy to send out a couple of cables on Sale or Return for you to try out the options before you bury cables in your floor - as before DVI/DVI is trickier over 5m+ and is much more cable dependant than DVI/HDMI and HDMI/HDMI.

Best regards

Joe

PS Other retailers on the AV Forums may also offer to supply cables on Sale or Return!

3. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Joe,

I am looking two DVI to HDMI cables. One cable needs to be 10 M and the other cable needs to be 1 M. It will be connecting the following kit:

Panasonic AE700
    Lumagem VidisonHDP
    Pioneer 868

Could you suggest a set of cables and would you do sale or return as per your
    last post.

Cheers

gwc

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    gwc

Our BetterCables Display Magic cables will do the trick - I had pretty much the same set up running last night (DV-868AVi > VisionDVI > PDP-504HDE) with the 10m DVI to HDMI between the Vision and the Plasma Media Box.

No problems with Sale or Return - as ever there are other potential suppliers on the AV Forums too.

Best regards

Joe

5. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Joe,

Could you PM me the cost of the cables.

Have you encountered any problems with such a long run of cable with respect to the DVI length limitations.

Cheers

gwc