1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi dvi-d

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by grayson, Apr 18, 2004.

1. grayson

grayson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the difference between a dvi to dvi cable and a dvi-d to dvi-d and is it worth spending alot of money on them. Thanks

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Grayson

There are two types of 'DVI' cables:

DVI-I - Analogue + Digital video
    DVI-D - Digital video only

In the Home Theatre market your going to be mostly looking for a DVI-D cable for Digital Video - though there will be the odd bit of kit that also offers DVI-I; LumagenHDP being one.

Once you've selected your type of cable you then need to look at what signals you want to send down the cable and how far you want to send it - I tend to spec cables that are guaranteed to deliver HDTV up to 1080i as this seems prudent with the advent of HDTV just around the corner.

Copper based cables are good for up to about 50 feet and after that you get into Fibre Optic cables (some of which are hardware receiver/transmitter based) for longer cable runs over copper you have to introduce active repeaters.

Lower cost cables that don't guarantee 1080i (but may carry it over short distances) may suffice in some situations (though they may introduce image artefacts) and we do find the HDTV ready DVI-D cables we supply work in situations where lower spec cables have failed; this is especially true once you get over 5m.

Best regards

Joe

3. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe summed it up quite well but didn't mention the physical differences. A DVI-I cable has an extra 4 pins around the largest pin, these are the four used for RGB or component analogue video. You therefore cannot plug a DVI-I cable into a DVI-D socket but a DVI-D cable will plug into a DVI-I socket etc.

You don't need to spend a fortune on these cables, we supply a range of DDWG fully compliant cables.

Andy.