Dvi Dvd Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by showcase, Oct 3, 2004.

1. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am looking for a dvd player for my 50" sagem axium, want to use dvi input, i am getting soooooooo tired looking around for a decent manufacturer to bring out dvi on dvd players, AT LAST denon bring out 2 or 3

well i have had a brief look at denon 3910 and 2910, apart from the price difference which is most appropriate - i heard the sagem has a prob with progressive as it already has it and delancer so need a dvd player that does not have these????????? i think

anyway i was looking around and found a denon 1910, i dont think its in the uk yet, but will ask denon this week.

are there any other dvi dvd players apart from denon

i'm in the planning stages of seting up my home cinema, going to hook a pc, 7.1, amp etc

if any1 can help it would be appreciated on anything

cheers

thanks in advance

2. crusade

crusade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why bother with a dvd-player when your going to hook up the pc?

Set up your PC with zoomplayer/theatertek, ffdshow and you have a combo which no dvd-player can compete with.

You will need a 3ghz+ PC to run any ffdshow filters properly, but the result will be a killer.;)

Check out software info and hardware at vendur.com, or do a search for HTPC on google..

3. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I have a Yamakawa 365 with DVI output. I'm not happy with this player because it's missing a few simple features like Auto PAL/NTSC selection and the remote range is terrible. Build quality isn't tops either. I've stuck it on eBay today and ordered a Denon 1910 (multiregion modded) for 249 EURO.

Another model with DVI comes from Momitsu but is based on the same design as the Yamakawa. There's a thread listing all the current and future DVI capable players floating around here, somewhere, that should have been made a sticky IMHO but now you'll have to go digging for it.

4. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The DVD-1910 IS available in the UK - I bought one on Friday from Practial Hifi in Bolton.

5. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just discovered that the one I have bought is not regionfree. Before I cancel the order, does anyone know how long it will take for a region free solution to popup or if one already exists? Thanks.

6. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I was told around 4 weeks, but they didn't seem sure.

7. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers every1
    paulw77 is the denon 1910 any good, i mean in-terms on picture quality? and what size tv have u got? from what i heard, this was just looking on the internet here and there that the pic on a big screen will be pixely, and will not auto size the screen to 16:9, but will be 4:3

cheers

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    DVI outputs are already progressive so you cannot avoid the de-interlacer in the player. Your TV should be expecting a de-interlaced signal on its DVI input and should by-pass its de-interlacer.

Gordon

9. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are any of the denons with dvi output, have a choice of disabling progressive scan, cuz from what i heard it will interfer with the sagam axium 50" tv, as it already has progressive
    sorry if this sounds sooo think but are interlacer and progressive two seperate things????

10. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crusade yor right but corrct me if i'm wrong, a dvd player will give better pic and sound quality then a pc?????? and a dvd player is totally based on playing dvds, the denon has 720p/ 1080i Scaling, Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja etc etc,
    again only some mid range dvd players will give a decent quality pic anyway

well it will cost me much more to build a good decent pc then buying a decent dvd player, then again the graphic card has to be top range one which will cost about 300+
    i'll think about the pc, dont know............ dam decisions
    no offence but the then again loading the pc and then playing the dvd where as u can play the dvd stright away on a dvd player :)

the pc, well i hooked up my pc it has 2.8ghz, 9700 pro graphics card, creative audigy platium 2 sound card, so pretty desent, but not as fast. BUT a big BUT when i hook it up through dvi cable i only get 4:3 pic on screen, and cannot get full 16:9 pic, someone told me to get powerstrip and set it to 1:1 mapping???? i dont want to pay for it cus not worth it, if anyone knows wher i can down load it much appreciated.
    any help on getting a full screen on the tv its done my head in so thats why i'm looking for a dvd player :)

11. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I haven't tested it too much yet but from what I've seen it's very good. Only tested it briefly via DVI and Monsters Inc upscaled to 1080i was breathtaking. I've ordered a 7.5m DVI cable from Lindy which should arrive later this week.

I've also watched Shaun of the Dead through component and that was noticeably better than my previous player (admittedly an Xbox via the official Microsoft HiDef pack).

Not sure what you mean about the picture being "pixely", or about the pciture being 4:3 - it will be whataver ratio you set in the menu.

I'm watching these via a Sanyo PLV-Z2 by the way, not a TV (96" screen).

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    You may well find that the DVI input on the TV sees a PC resolution and decides it's a 4:3 image. Try setting the graphics card output to 1280x720 and see what happens.

Do a google search for Powerstrip. Shouldn't be too hard to find

gordon

13. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    showcase,

To get 16:9 display you'll need to play with custom resolutions. Your video card is top notch already and you don't need another one. Look for utility called PowerStrip and check some other forumes for custom timings for Sagem (or see if the manufacturer will supply you with that information).

Once you matched video card resolution and timings to what Sagem expects you'll be pleasantly surprised with the quality.

14. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Paulw77

I'm waiting for a Denon 1910, and it will be going to a Z2 Via a supra 8m DVI.
    I was interested to see that you had to adjust the projector via the service menu in order to get the picture to fill the screen. Can you please point me in the right direction for this link. Any info on other tweaks would be most welcome!

Also, I look forward to reading your comments once you have the Lindy cable.

Thanks.

15. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Try setting the graphics card output to 1280x720 and see what happens."

Did you try what Gordon suggested?

Also, set the refresh rate to 60Hz. Your TV should lock into this as native resolution.

16. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154329

17. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    OK - tonight I reconnected my *short!* DVI cable (2m) and tested some discs to see if I could spot any macroblocking.

I tried :

Star Wars Episode 4 (meant to show macroblocking around the scrollign text at the start)
    LOTR:EE (meant to show MB around the New Line logo at the start)
    Monsters Inc
    About A Boy

I could not detect any macroblocking at all on any of these discs. Maybe it's my eyes, but I don't think so - I can usually detect things that other people can't see.

This was all in 1080i by the way.

18. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi

sorry forgot to mention, my graphic card allows me to set it to any resolution and mhz, i tried evrything, i set it to 1024, 1280, and 1620 and others evrything!!!!, and tried various mhz's BUT the screen still stays as 4:3 and would not streach to 16:9

19. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers for the link to powerstrip, for how long can i use the software for, its on shareware so will it disable or uninstall itself after a while, and is it the full version, it does not say on the website? sorry to be sooo novice, when i download software i download the full versions :)

i tried every resolution and mhz, but cannot get a full 16:9 pic!!!!!!!!!! :(

cheers about the custom timings, i will look into this

20. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    showcase,

I think PowerStrip does not expire, but if it solves your problem it deserves a purchase.

PowerStrip has number of pre-set HDTV timings that are likely to work in your case.

21. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    dont know if this helps, but i couldnt get ANY widescreen resolutions to work with an ATI card in my machine (9800 pro) switched to a 5900 nvidia card, and 1280x720 worked straight away.

22. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    nelius, did u order the denon online

23. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vic,

Yes, I bought it online at www.dvdplayer.de but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Just so you are aware, the one I bought is NOT region free as I had initailly believed. That was an oversight from me (actually the site is not great and has nonmodded players listed with modded ones). I'll be leaving it boxed until the region free firmware is released and will continue with my Yamakawa 365 until then.

Regards,
    Con

24. crusade

crusade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I had the opposite experience. Couldnt get it to work with my 5900 Ultra card, switched to a Radeon 9600SE, and it worked on the second try..

But the thing is, when I tried 1280x720 with my 5900 card, the pc restarted.. so I guess its some software issue which can be corrceted hopefully as the dvd.picture is way ebtter with the 5900 card than radeon 9600..:p

25. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Con ;)

26. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You should have the option within the DVD player menu to output the signal interlaced. Then depending on the quality of the projector's de-interlacer, you let that do the work. Many newer projectors like the Infocus Screenplay 4805 has a superb de-interlacer which is as good as those on £500 + DVD players. So try both ways. Use the DVD's and the projector's and see which looks best.
    Another very good player with DVI is the Samsung DVD-HD745 which can be bought for the unbelievable price of £109 @
    http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=2318
    It has a fantastic spec too.