1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI dvd players

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Claude, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently decided to buy a projector (Hitachi TX100) I am wondering about the DVI source that has been discussed in this forum by many before me.

I understand that there are a number of DVD players with a DVI connection (ie. Samsung, Momitsu, Bravo etc etc) but what I would like to know, if you be so kind, is why don't people save money and use there computers. I have a computer with a DVI plug on an ATI all in wonder graphics card. The card comes with Hydrovision which allows you to what your computer screen image on selected TV's, projectors etc etc.

Am I missing something? Does this not work properly or something. Would love to hear.

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Simplicity, computers work very well as a driver of projectors but DVD players are less faf for most. :smoke:

3. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    For me, it's a matter of noise and heat. My PC puts out quite a bit of heat, which when combined with the heat from my PJ is far too warm to be comfortable. Especially at this time of the year.

Plus my PC is at least as noisy as the PJ. I don't mind turning the volume up just a bit more :D but the neighbours might.

A momitsu for less than £200 is probably my best HC purchase.

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Are these DVI multiregional players capable of outputting both 60Hz for NTSC and 50Hz for PAL?

Conor

5. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    IIRC, the Samsung converts PAL to 60Hz for DVI output. The Momitsu will output PAL at 50Hz but uses a flag-based de-interlacer which is less than ideal for PAL as most PAL discs are incorrectly flagged. Check the DVD players section for more details.

Before the end of the year we'll probably see new DVI / HDMI equiped players from Denon, Pioneer and probably others.