1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI DVD player to use with Apple's HD LCD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by omar_g, Jan 5, 2005.

1. omar_g

omar_g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little advice please;

I've got Apple's 20" Studio Display HD which has a DVI-D input. I'd like to use it as a display for Sky+ and DVDs. The cheapest option (rather than buy a dedicated scaler) seems to be a DVD player with DVI output.

Am I right in thinking that there are DVD players with video pass through, which will allow me to feed the Sky+ feed to the LCD via DVI?

For the time being, i'm willing to forget picture quality. I'd just like to know if it's technically possible?

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The following is my understanding:

It's technically possible, but you risk the wrath of Hollywood who require digital transmission of DVD video to be HDCP encrypted and your screen doesn't have HDCP. The answer is Momitsu with the pass-through input option that was announced but hasn't appeared yet. Hollywood is trying to force the chip maker (Sigma) to block the capability in the chip. But if they lost in the courts, it might damage their ability to block it for high definition DVD processing. So everyone's treading ultra gently and not talking about it very clearly. As of this moment, you can in fact still buy an upscaling DVD player that works with DVI and without HDCP, but it won't be a major brand.

A loophole was supposedly left for PC's via VGA, but it seems to have been transferred to DVI as well. So a cheap Home Cinema PC might be what you are looking for (eg Digimatrix). Or maybe Apple is about to announce a micro-slab Mac that will go with it (see thinksecret.com).

I hope you bought your screen in the past 2 days (price crash).

3. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My feeling is that Hollywood will keep posturing but let this one pass, because in a couple of years everything will have HDCP anyway, and high definition video will make it essential.