1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi dvd player on a pj

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pacemaker, Sep 3, 2003.

1. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    anyone tried comparing a dvi dvd player like samsung hd931 on their pj?
    how does it compare to a htpc
    nearly bought a new samsung hd935 today for £176
    but seems tooooo cheep
    but if it gives same picture as htpc and spdif out what is there to loose,,, apart from hours wasted on getting a pc to run right
    :D
    spose soon there will be more choice but at moment in uk looks like its samsung or nothing

2. DSBUK

DSBUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of interest can you tell me if anyone in the uk is selling the hd935 yet. Ive been interested in getting this player myself for a while but have been waiting to see if/when you can by it in this country.

3. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    samsung have them instock and will be in stores very soon
    but i'm waiting for a review + after probs with hd931 to iron out any bugs
    as long as its performs well compared to htpc will be worth it even if better ones arrive next year still chaeper and easier than htpc

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you do a search for 'momitsu' you will find Ian Guinan did a mini review of his (now sold) Momitsu V880 DVD player with his Denon DVD player and HTPC.

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The word seems to be very favourable with the V880 on PJs, plenty on here about them.

It is a VERY budget player too, but not easy to get in the UK (Germany or Hong Kong are your best bets).

Where can the Samsung be got for £176? I'd take a chance on it at that price as I'm finding it hard to find time to setup my HTPC and even when I do the wife will never use it...

Cheers
    Marc

6. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I'm interested in a DVD Player with DVI output too.
    Bravo D1 had good reviews on AVS ( there was a firmware update from Panasonic to make it work perfectly with AE300 :)).
    The deal breaker for me it is the fact that it is not multiregion :( .
    Does anyone know if Momitsu or Samsung work fine with AE300?
    Are they multiregion?
    Thanks,
    Julia

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Julia

I think the problem is no one (here in UK anyways) knows yet as no one has seen one.

Don't know about you but I just loathe people who come on the forums saying they can get this piece of kit at that price but are not prepared to provide more info when asked.

Pacemaker - put up or shut up :)

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Bravo D1 appears to be the same as the Momitsu/Brainwave V880, however the latter can be made multiregion with a simple hack (and the Brainwave also has a Scart socket).

Having read some threads on the Samsung 931 vs Bravo on AVS my feelings swung towards the Bravo. Then I looked further and there are a lot of issues with the Bravo too with it sticking on disks or just not playing them.

To be honest both sounded a bit troublesome. New firmware keeps coming out, so I suspect they keep getting more compatible with each release.

No one knows about whether the Samsung 935 will be a fixed version of the 931 yet as they aren't out just yet.

Right now from a UK point of view it appears the Brainwave V880
    is the way to go until we know more about the 935, but it potentially suffers all the issues of the D1.

I give the Brainwave the nod over the Momitsu purely because of the scart socket. For me it would mean it could be hooked up to my TV when not being used with the PJ (The Momitsu has S-Video for this).

So what is stopping me going with one right now? Well as I said earlier it appears you can only get the V880 from mainland Europe or Hong Kong. A real pain if you want to send it back, and it seems there is a fair chance of that...

Cheers
    Marc

9. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Nice one pacemaker. I hoped that little jibe might provoke a response :D

11. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for putting us out of our misery..keen to give this one a try and see how it compares to the V880. I'm hoping for a more solid build and not too worried about the scaling problems reported for the US version (I let the Faroudja in my projector sort out all that kinda stuff..) I'll give them a call on Monday..has anyone ordered from these guys before?

Ian Guinan

12. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm interesting in ordering one too. However until I know it can be made region free it isn't worth it for me as most of my disks are R1.

I also noticed on the US site that the HDCP (Is that the right acronym?) can be turned off on the V880 but not on the 931.

Not sure how this affects me with my LPX-500 but I don't think it can handle HDCP. Not that I really know what it is (other than some form of protection) or in what instances HDCP comes into effect!

Please post your finding Iain.

Cheers
    Marc

13. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    HDCP is a copy protection protocol. If the player puts it out with the DVI and your projector is not capable of decoding HDCP you will not get an image...not sure about your projector..worth looking around before you consider the Samsung.

I can confirm that HDCP is quite easy to turn off on the V880 (part of why there has been a buzz around this and the D1 for all those without HDCP capable projectors).

Ian Guinan