1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI DVD player and 433MXE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philipb, Feb 17, 2004.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    OK - lets say I get a DVI equipped DVD player which is not HDCP compliant, eg the 880. As I understand it the 5002 card on the 433MXE will only accept 480p, not 720 nor 1080 which the DVD player can output.

To use the higher resolutions I would need , say, the Aurora A304 card which will take 720 and 1080. Question is - is it worth it? What if any benefit will there be from feeding the plasma a 720 or 1080 signal?

On a related theme - is the A304 still a bit flaky on PAL? Now would be a good time to get one with the dollar heading south.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    philip,

I'm using a V880 into a 433MXE with standard PDA-5002 card. I've set up a custom resolution on the V880 of 1024x768 to match the native resolution of the plasma - picture quality is excellent through DVI. With the latest firmware installed, the V880 is now a very stable player and plays all discs I've tried in it. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. sberemski

sberemski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you set a custom resolution for the plasma? I have a 434HDE and would love to know how that works....

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi sberemski,

I'm afraid the HDMI on the R04 media box can't accept native rate - it will only take video resolutions, not computer resolutions. This is in complete contrast to the DVI input on the PDA-5002 card which will only take computer resolutions. Nice one, Pioneer! One step forward, two steps back...:rolleyes:

Steve

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Steve

Cheers.

6. sberemski

sberemski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think that in fututre people might devise ways of getting around the copy protection on the HDMI input(which I must say is the most moronic idea I have ever heard of:rolleyes: )

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes & no. HDCP uses a sort of public key encryption that lets the player authenticate the licence of the receiver before it starts transmission. If a licensees equipment can get round the encryption (because someone's hacked it), then its license is revoked. The revocation is emebedded in DVD's and broadcasts, and licensees are reqired to note revocations and refuse to transmit to such equipment. i.e. if someone finds a way round, it will be blocked retrospectively. I don't know how the security is meant to be enforced back to an HD DVD.

The stupid thing is that normal DVD's are already cracked wide open, so it should be a non-issue for now. Presumably they are worried about HD content copying in the future. For now it does nothing for the distributors. Also the quality of even mid-priced equipment is such that going through an analogue and back conversion can be almost indistinguishable from the original.

Paradoxically, blocking the punter's easy copying path with HDCP actually makes commercial piracy more profitable, and therefore more organised & widespread, because it's the only alternative to the official product.

8. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

I realise this thread is going back a bit, but have just gotten hold of a DVI cable and am trying to get the best picture from a V880N to our 433MXE via the PDA-5002.

Can you give me your custom resolution settings you have for you v880 (if you still have it that is)

many thanks
    Gary

9. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure who gave me these, but this is what I use on the V880N

60525 7500
    1024 768
    1344 40
    136 144
    810 3
    6 30
    0 0

Sorry about the formatting! Just put those in the boxes on the custom resolution screen. It's also worth updating to the latest firmware because of some strange behaviours that sometimes happen on the resolution front. Do that first; you will lose the custom resolution settings when you update the firmware.

10. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ancientgeek

have replied to other thread about which firmware version you are using, no harm asking in here also :)

cheers
    Gary

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Gary,

Those are the custom resolution settings I sent to ancientgeek. I'm sure they'll be fine for your V880N.

Steve

12. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks Steve

Gary

13. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve:

Thanks from me too; sorry I didn't remember it was you!

It's a mystery to me why this isn't on the Momitsu web site for all the popular panels/projectors.

14. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe worth emailing them, the NL site is due to have an online support section were you can ask questions and they are answered and published for all.

Gary