1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Dilemma (Media Centre PC to HS10)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Turl2, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I was looking forward to hooking-up my PC to the HS10 at the weekend to experience the joys of DVD and high res gaming through the big screen. I tootled off to get myself a 10m DVI-D cable and got myself set-up.

:eek: First of all I got a multi coloured, heavily pixellated image in 4:3. I selected COMPUTER in the HS10 menu under the Digital input and set the PC screen resolution to 800x600 and finally got an image. Unfortunately this is still in 4:3 and of poor quality. I have green sparklies on the screen also.

I should point out at this stage that my PC video card is an XFX GeForce 6600GT with dual DVI and S-Video out. I am using the NVidia drivers that are compatible with MCE 2005. I have the primary DVI feeding and Hitachi 5200 Plasma (with superb results) and the second DVI to the HS10.

How do I get a good quality widescreen image thats suitable for MCE and gaming?.

I have searched the forum for answers and I think I need Powerstrip to get the resolution compatible and maybe a better cable to cure the sparklies. Am I heading down the right path or not?.

I've been away from the forums for some time so any help would be appreciated......hopefully next weekend shall be more successful !.

Cheers,

Turl

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    I am sure that the poor picture is down to the fact that you are not feeding the PJ its native resolution of 1366x768. You will need to use Powerstrip if your graphics driver doesn't allow you to set this resolution.

3. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

Many thanks, I'll give PS a try and feedback.

Turl

4. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Anything over 5m can be problematic with cheaper DVI cables. Try a Lindy premium cable and if that doesn't solve it dig deep and go for a quality cable - I can vouch for the Bettercables 9m DVI.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    It sounds like the cable to be honest. The HS10 is normally quite adept at showing many standard PC resolutions. Try 1024x768 and it should give a 4x3 1:1 pixel map. Set the refresh to 60Hz.

I use a 12m cablesolutions dvi cable from the states ( they sell on ebay). guaranteed to work with no picture problems cost me about £177.(about £100 cheaper than an equivalent cable in the UK including duty and VAT) Long reliable dvi cables are expensive.

ideally you want 1368x768 at 56Hz on the HS10 for 1:1 pixel map fullpanel.

6. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the responses....guess I'll change my cable on Saturday for something more suitable.

Does anyone know anywhere else that does high quality DVI cables in addition to those mentioned above?.

I've also read that PC games (Doom 3?) cannot be displayed using the full 16:9 panel.....surely this cannot be the case these days.....can it?.

Cheers,

Turl

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    No problems here , HL2 , Doom3 , Far Cry all fine on my HS20, Most of them support 1368x768.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Turl2

First thing to do is test the PC to Projector link using a short DVI cable - 2m is a good choice; that'll tell you if you have a cable problem or not.

If you do have a cable problem I'd advise you ensure you have the option of Sale or Return on your next cable as no matter what cable you go with you could still have problems.

Best regards

Joe