1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-D YUV output on DVD players question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bjcol, Jan 4, 2005.

1. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do DVD players with DVI-D HDCP outputs send digital RGB or digital YUV coulorspace signals?

I understand that DVI was originally designed as a computer to display interface and that its digital RGB. I also understand that a benefit of HDMI is that it can output digital YUV (the same colour space which is recorded on DVD's). However I was reading some of the press releases on the Silicone image web site and a couple seemed to imply that DVD players and set top boxes with DVI-D HDCP output are outputting digital YUV as opposed to digital RGB. Anyone with techie knowledge I'm sure can clear this up for me, I'd just like to further my understanding. Also what happens when you connect a HDMI source to DVI screen? Does the screen tell the source it can only handle RGB (if thats the case) and therefore the HDMI source sends RGB rather than YUV?

Thanks

Ben

2. dmdeev

dmdeev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I know both DVI(HDCP) and HDMI send digital YCbCr data. 24bit RGB data is sent via DVI only when connected to the computer.

3. jrosado

jrosado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi:

nope.. DVI-D sends only RGB information. HDMI sends RGB or YUV information (can be selectable).

Regards,

J. Rosado

4. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jrosado and others...

In your opinion Is there any noticable difference between a DVI RGB signal and a HDMI YUV signal?

5. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Bruce, thats where I'm going with this post. I'm guessing that by not changing the colourspace the HDMI YUV signal maybe slightly better although I'm sure a digital conversion from YUV to RGB involves minimal if any loss?

6. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jrosado thanks for your reply, I went back to the DVI and HDMI specs and read further and can see that you are correct.