Question DVI-D to VGA Connection Issues

Fatti

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a desktop PC running with a Gigabyte GA-A320M-2SH MB and an AMD Ryzen processor with Vega graphics. I’ve been using the MB VGA output to a VGA monitor with no issues.

I’m getting a new monitor soon that has HDMI inputs so, as I wanted a little more grunt than the IGP would give so, I’ve popped in a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5 128 bit Graphics Card….I don’t intend to play game on it.

The GTX 1050 has DP, HDMI and DVI-D outputs so, as an interim, I’ve disable to IGP and purchased an active DVI-D to VGA converted to connect to the current VGA monitor.

Now, here’s the query…..when I switch on, I get no signal at all on the monitor but the PC boots OK. If I remote desktop in, it’s all booted up but, if I look under Device Manager, no monitor is present. If I power down, disconnect and reconnect the adaptors DVI from the graphics card and the VGA cable from the adaptor and power back up again, all is good; the monitor now appears under Device Manager and the resolution is all correct.

I get no picture issues when it’s working which suggests all the connections are good. I just can’t figure out why I need to disconnect and reconnect to get it work after it’s been switched off.

I'd try a Displayport to VGA cable, the only cost around 10 pounds, that may be more reliable.

There is some kind of bug in the DVI to VGA chain but its hard to say what you could do to address it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'd try a Displayport to VGA cable, the only cost around 10 pounds, that may be more reliable.

There is some kind of bug in the DVI to VGA chain but its hard to say what you could do to address it.

Many thanks for that, didn't consider trying the Displayport to VGA adaptor / cable option. The marketplace seller, for the adaptor I have, has refunded me (without wanting it back) and is sending another, free of charge, in case the original one was faulty. If if it's still a no-go, I'll pick up a DP to VGA and see how that goes.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom