DVI-D supports sound??

A

andicd

hey i relize this post should not probaly be here but wasent sure where else to put it.

Just wondering if DVI-D supports sound as i own one of the older sagem telly's which where created to support HD but without HDMI. to get around this problem im using a hdmi cable from the back of the sky HD box and then using an adaptor at the end to run it inot my tv. however i was wondering if this solution will support sound.

thanks

andicd

hey i relize this post should not probaly be here but wasent sure where else to put it.

Just wondering if DVI-D supports sound as i own one of the older sagem telly's which where created to support HD but without HDMI. to get around this problem im using a hdmi cable from the back of the sky HD box and then using an adaptor at the end to run it inot my tv. however i was wondering if this solution will support sound.

thanks

andicd

You will need an audio cable for the sound

Or use the optical out to a surround amp like most people prefer to do anyway.

i was also woundering if there is a HDMI to scart adaptor so i can temorleraly use my old sky box and connect it to my HD tv or if you can get a HDMI to computer moniter (not sure of name) adaptor?

Yeah any TV that has DVI D/I input should also have a seperate audio jack next to the DVI socket, probably a mini-jack or better yet optical input to use the on-board amp/speakers.

i was also woundering if there is a HDMI to scart adaptor so i can temorleraly use my old sky box and connect it to my HD tv or if you can get a HDMI to computer moniter (not sure of name) adaptor?

You can use scart to connect a STB to a HD telly with no problems at all, well just the usual issues with scaling/de-interlacing the lower quality signal:)

You can convert HDMI (digital) to VGA (PC analogue) but it's not a cheap cable option.

Exactly what are you trying to do since one seems to say you have a HD telly but no HD box and the other you have a HD box but no HD telly (or one with only VGA).

Right at the moment we have 3 HD tellys spread out throughout the house two with HDMI connections and one without (DVI). we at present do not have Sky HD but however have Sky + and normal sky subscribed to multiroom. I dont want to get sky HD just yet cos i dnt feel the price warents the amount of HD channels you get but i want to wire the house up so wen the time comes that i want to get sky HD i can do it quickly and easily without hassle.

that is y id like to no how to convert all my wires as both my sky box and
sky + box only have scart outputs, and i have wired my house up with HDMI cable. id like to no would like to no if you can convert HDMI to scart or the computer moniter input. or the now answered question if a HDMI cable with DVI-D converter on the end would deliver audio.

Right at the moment we have 3 HD tellys spread out throughout the house two with HDMI connections and one without (DVI). we at present do not have Sky HD but however have Sky + and normal sky subscribed to multiroom. I dont want to get sky HD just yet cos i dnt feel the price warents the amount of HD channels you get but i want to wire the house up so wen the time comes that i want to get sky HD i can do it quickly and easily without hassle.

that is y id like to no how to convert all my wires as both my sky box and
sky + box only have scart outputs, and i have wired my house up with HDMI cable. id like to no would like to no if you can convert HDMI to scart or the computer moniter input. or the now answered question if a HDMI cable with DVI-D converter on the end would deliver audio.

You have run HDMI all over your house? That must have cost a fortune. How long are the runs - HDMI isn't like Ethernet or even co-ax, it has a limited distance it will work over.

You can get a converter box which will convert HDMI to DVI + separate digital audio, but your TV will have to be capable of digital in or have a separate AV amp.

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=CP267

You can also get a box which will let you take the one HDMI signal from the Sky box and send three output HDMIs to your TVs:

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=CHDMI4

The easiest thing to do would be to replace your existing Sky boxes with HD ones, then you wouldn't have to run any cables or buy expensive converter boxes at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom