DVI-D (Denon 3910) > DVI-I (DVDO HD+) > VGA (Panny PHD7)

Eye in the sky

Standard Member
Reaction score
DVI-D (Denon 3910) > DVI-I (DVDO HD+) > VGA (Panny PHD7)

What's going on???

I have a Denon DVD3910 that I am connecting its DVI-D output to the DVDO HD+'s DVI-I input. And connecting the HD+'s VGA output to the VGA input of the Panasonic PHD7.

When I play Star Wars 'The Empire Strikes Back' for example, I switch the 3910 to output DVI 576P into the HD+. What I get on the PHD7 is that it will show two seconds of film and then it turns to the blue screen although audio is ok.

As I read on the DVDO HD+ FAQ section, it says that the HD+ will output a HDCP signal only on its DVI output. The DVD I am playing is Copy Protected. Is this the same as HDCP??

Also, when I put in DVE (Digital Video Essentials), I get the same issue.

Am I missing something here? I want to get VGA output (HD+) from a DVI input (3910) via HD+ into the PHD7. Short of using a Panny DVI board, what's the best way to doing this?

Eye,

I might be wrong, but I dont think you can do HDCP between the source and scaler and then output via analogue.

Hopefully one of the other chaps can confirm or deny this...

I think you will need to go HDCP to the display to complete the HDCP chain, which means the Panny DVI card...but you then incur the issues of using 50Hz with the Panny panel.

Does Denon YUV to the scaler and then VGA to the panel work OK?

Cheers

JJ

JJ is right.

If the DVD is protected by CSS then an HDCP-compliant player will encrypt it with HDCP, though some players always use HDCP even if the DVD is not protected. Any processor which can accept HDCP protected input is not allowed to output the unprotected signal via analog by the terms of the HDCP license.

Once upon a time I believed that processors COULD downscale to SD resolution via analog, some DVD players can certainly output HD via HDCP and SD via component simultaneously, but scalers don't seem to work like that for some reason. Okay, to some extent it defeats the purpose of a scaler but since they perform o5ther functions than just scaling it'd still be a useful facility.

Presumably Gordon can enlighten us. :)

Eye in the Sky

You require a DVI or HDMI board in the Display to make this work - Analogue output on the HD+ is disabled with Copy Protected Discs ((HDCP is switched on within the iScanHD+ automatically once you start to play a Protected disc).

It could well be your Player is putting 'blanket' HDCP on all discs.

Best regards

Joe

From memory, I think the 3910 uses HDCP for all DVI/HDMI outputs in a "blanket" form as Joe suggested...

JJ

JJ, JF, KG: Thanks for the info.

Do you know for sure that the 3910 blankets all DVD materials with HDCP? If so, is there any Denon firmware that can disable this so that non-HDCP DVDs can remain non-HDCP so that I can get the 3910 to output DVI into the HD+ for a VGA output??

TBH, it does not make sense that Denon should do this. Its a pretty inflexible setup for people with 'weird' I/O configurations.

The Pioneer 868 also does this I think, based on my experiences with mine when I had a Z2 which wasn't HDCP-compliant, and others too I believe, it isn't just Denon. It's lazy on their part but they assume all DVDs people play are commercial and therefore protected.

You still have the option of component from DVD to IScan, many people claim this option is just as good if not better than DVI

VGA output on the HD+ looks great. The reason for this DVI>VGA configuration is to satisfy my curiosity to test the possibility of the HD+ as in the FAQ, and also because I got tired or waiting for my Panny DVI board.

Is there no firmware fix to disable the blanket HDCP on the 3910?

Eye in the sky said:
VGA output on the HD+ looks great. The reason for this DVI>VGA configuration is to satisfy my curiosity to test the possibility of the HD+ as in the FAQ, and also because I got tired or waiting for my Panny DVI board.

Is there no firmware fix to disable the blanket HDCP on the 3910?

Very much doubt Denon would do this, as it goes against the HDCP licensing rules...

Based upon your setup, you may be better going YUV from Denon anyhow as you can then output interlaced (DVI only currently accepts progressive) and then let the HD+ do *both* your scaling and your deinterlacing - it is likely better at both than the Denon.

JJ

I mean ... it does not make sense to insert HDCP on un-copy-righted materials too. Like for some educational materials or old DVDs where VGA output is preferred from a DVI version of the source. At least saving one stage of D/A (Component to Digital source for internal provessing) is better than none.

I agree, but manufacturers tend to be lazy like that ;)

Denon don't always have a great record of listening to their customers and seem to make the same mistakes several times rather than learning from past mistakes! :suicide:

I would totally agree that removing one A/D step is a good idea...exactly the reason people without DVI/HDMI go for SDI (like me ;))

JJ

You could put the HDCP remover switch between the Denon and the Iscan and you have solved the problem, no HDCP!

:lease:
Can you tell me where can I buy such an HDCP remover switch for DVI? I am planning similar configuration as the one above only using Gefen DVI-D to VGA converter and I will probably have the same problem as this dude.

Regards
fallen66

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom