1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-D connection on Sagem DLP.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by THFC1882, Oct 19, 2005.

1. THFC1882

THFC1882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there.
    I recently picked up a Sagem Axium DLP.
    No problems with it so far.
    I plan on picking up one of those DVD players that upscale things into HD.
    There is no HDMI input on the back of my TV though so I planned on using an HDMI- DVI-D cable.
    There seems to be about a million different types of DVI-D connection about though.
    My one is used mostly for PC's and looks a bit like this

. . . . . . . .I
    . . . . . . . . --
    . . . . . . . .I

3 rows of 8 pins, then 2 longer vertical pins and 1 longer horizontal pin at the end- as shown by my expert drawing.
    I cant find a cable with this type of DVI-D at one end and HDMI at the other end though, so my question's are:
    1- Do such cables even exist, if so any ideas where I can get them from?
    2- Will any DVI-D cable work? I've seen them with a few less pins, most commonly with out the 2 long vertical pins and with HDMI at the other end. Will it be ok to use these cables and leave to slots for the vertical pins unfilled?
    I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks for your time.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    DVI Cables can have the following pin arrangements...

[​IMG]

DVI-I carry both digital and analogue signals whereas DVI-D are digtal only.

And what you are looking for is a DVI-D to HDMI leaded...most likely it's going to be dual-link.

Plenty of cables are available such as these QED's from HiFi Cables (http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2426/v/aca767ed-957d-4762-baca-04dc0ede2c78)

Just chose that one as you can clearly see the pins...you can pay more or less...it's your choice.

Cheers, Lee

3. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a single link DVI-D on my Sagem

4. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the LG HDMI player and while its a good player the picture is miles away from my HTPC picture.....

As my Rd50 and the Sagem DLPs have the Faroudja Chip inside, I couldnt see much difference between the component input (576i , 576p, 720p, 1080i) and the DVI input(576i , 576p, 720p, 1080i)
    The upscaling of this LG player does not get a big win in picture quality.....

If I play the same DVD on my HTPC with WinDVD and play over 720p on the Optoma the picture has:

-stronger colors
    -is more sharpen
    -more configureable (gamma, contrast, ...)
    -contrast in general is better
    -picture is not that washed out...

The PQ over DVI is not much better than using the component input.

So don`t expect too much from a cheap HDMI player.... you may be better buying a HTPC for around 400 bucks and have real stunning quality....

But maybe there are other HDMI-players which are more expensive and better.....

For the cable HDMI-DVI: Take a good(expensive) one for more than 2,5 meters....

But if the player is in your TV rack and you need 1 or 2 meters you can go for a cheaper one.
    I took one on ebay for 10€ for 2meters and its just fine....

But I already had a cheap HAMA DVI cable ( 3m) and nearly 40% of the picture was green dot crawl....

So the difference between good and bad DVI/HDMI cable will be: you get a picture or you get not..... but there is nothing between

There more distance between your player and your TV, the better cable you need.....

Hope that helps

5. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am using the 2m DVI cable from DELL LCD monitor and no problems with pic from PC