DVI-D and HDMI compatibility

R

Ronak-T2

As far as I am aware DVI-D and HDMI are compatibile. However are they compatible both ways?

e.g. as far as I am aware you can connect a source with a DVI output to a target with an HDMI input either using a DVI to HDMI cable or an adapter.

However, can you connect a source with an HDMI output to a target with a DVI input? Again using either a cable and/or an adapter.

Thanks,

There are more issues, apart from HDCP.

There is a fuss on the market regarding compatibility between hdmi players and DVI projectors (at the very least). See http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29724031&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (it's in french) and http://www.cine4home.de/Meldungen/Pio-DV-668-Fix/PioFix.htm (in german). I also have an Infocus 5700 (sort of dvi) and a Pioneer 668 but I have not found the apropriate cables yet to test their compatibility. Needless to say, I am very anxious about it.

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to.

As far as I am aware the infocus issue has now been resolved on their latest projectors. The earlier ones actually had M1 not DVI ports (or so I have been told) and as a result a DVD player with an HDMI output could not communicate with the pj using an HDMI to DVI cable (or HDMI/DVI adapter).

My question is related totally to home AV and not PCs. I just want to know if there are any definites, that won't work when using DVI/HDMI sources and targets.

What's IIRC?

Infocus stilluse the M1-DVI port. It will connect to HDMI, but needs a hdmi-dvi cable and an adapter dvi---DVI-M1 as well. Theres one in the box by my feet, but you will find a good analogue player better than the pioneer, this is HDMI on the cheap, no real advantage IMHO

MAW: You meen I can get a better component signal from another player compared to the Pioneer's hdmi? If so, what player might that be? I will probably let go of my Pioneer if it proves to be incompatible with my 5700, so I guess I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

--------------
Actually, you are indeed getting me down ;)

I believe so, the Pio is nothing special, just 1st with HDMI. A denon 2900 will knock spots off it, maybe even the HK27 Just my opinion mind, but I do get to see these things regularly, and am very familiar with the 5700 PJ. The M1-dvi to dvi-d adapter, plus DVI-HDMI canle will see it connected, and it should work with the PIo thoigh. The problem is purely physical.

Now that's good news, as I'd heard the problem isn't just the ports. But you haven't actually tried to connect the two, right?

No. I'd be fascinated to try it. You're not very local unfortunately!!! But you can get an adapter from Lindy.com, and a standard hdmi-dvi from molex, not a huge amount of money.

Lepton

As MAW says plenty of adapters available for DVI to MI - I've supplied a few Molex HDMI to DVI cables + Gefen DVI to M1 adapters to a few customers with DV-868AVI and the In Focus projectors and the only hassle so far was someone who had the projector mounted so tight to a wall we had a struggle getting the DVI hood + M1 adapter to fit between the projector body and the wall.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks to both of you guys.

The point is that I want to make sure that the devices are compatible before buying the cable and adapter. The cable has to be no shorter than 7.5 meters so the budget is too high for tests. This is why I keep asking if anyone has tried the combination.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom